Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default comments within formulas

I have a vague memory that it is possible to add comments in the same cell
as a formula. (Not using Comment feature.) Does anyone know how to do that?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If the results are numeric:
=A1+B1+N("this is a comment")

If the results are text:
=A2&B2&TEXT("this is a comment",";;;")

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Couple of methods.

=a2*a1+N("my wage+bonus for the month of February")

The comments will appear only in the formula bar.

If you want it to show in the cell

=a2*a1 & " is my wage+bonus for the month of February"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:47:40 +1030, "RobN" wrote:

I have a vague memory that it is possible to add comments in the same cell
as a formula. (Not using Comment feature.) Does anyone know how to do that?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks Dave and Gord.

I notice, in this example I created, ==1284.15+520 & " test", that the cell
is no longer treated as numeric as it is not included in another SUM
function, for instance.
The other method works great, but is there a way for the example above to
still be treated as numeric? I suspect not.

Ps. Gord, I can't help you with the value for a2 in your example, but a1
is, "Thanks for your help!"

Rob

Couple of methods.

=a2*a1+N("my wage+bonus for the month of February")

The comments will appear only in the formula bar.

If you want it to show in the cell

=a2*a1 & " is my wage+bonus for the month of February"

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 29 Feb 2008 11:47:40 +1030, "RobN" wrote:

I have a vague memory that it is possible to add comments in the same cell
as a formula. (Not using Comment feature.) Does anyone know how to do
that?

Rob

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you want to keep the value numeric:
=1284.15+520 &n("test")
But test won't show up in the cell.

You could give the cell a custom format:
format|cells|number tab|custom category:
0,000.000 "test"
and just use:
=1284.15+520
in the cell