Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Conditional formatting...

Hi there, please help with the following...

Working with two sheets, I have a list of alpha numeric referances in col.
A. I would like the cells in col. A on sheet 1 to show up as a differant
colour if they appear appear in list in col A on sheet 2.

What formula should I use in the conditional formatting?

Many Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

First, go to Sheet2 and select the maximum range in Column A that you ever
expect to fill your list in with (that is, don't be afraid to include blank
cells in the range). Now, click in the Name Box (that is the edit field on
the formula bar to the left of the formula fill-in field) and type in a name
for this range (for this example, call it LookUpRange). Now, go back to
Sheet1 and select the maximum range in its Column A (again, you can include
blanks in order to handle future entries); click

Format/Conditional Formatting....

from Excel's menu bar. Once in there, select Formula Is from the first drop
down and put this formula in the second field...

=ISNUMBER(MATCH(A1,LookUpRange,0))

(where A1 is assumed to be the active cell within the selected range) and
then click the Format button to select your color.

Rick

"Patch" wrote in message
Hi there, please help with the following...

Working with two sheets, I have a list of alpha numeric referances in col.
A. I would like the cells in col. A on sheet 1 to show up as a differant
colour if they appear appear in list in col A on sheet 2.

What formula should I use in the conditional formatting?

Many Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

A point I should have made is that in order to have a reference to a range
on a different sheet in Conditional Formatting, that range must be named and
the name must be used in the formula.

Rick

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...