Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why does a formula take up 2 cells?

When I put this formula into cell N2, why does it occupy BOTH cells N2
and N3?

=IF(ISNUMBER(SEARCH(",",L2)),M2,L2)

Thanks

Mark246

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Mark,
If the contents of a cell don't fit into the cell and it is not wrapped
then it will be extended for viewing into the next cell on the row if that next
cell is empty (no content, no formula). If you select the adjacent
cell and look at formula bar, you would see that there is nothing
there. If you actually see the formula in the cell then you are in
formula view or have a bad formula that is seen only as text.

--
HTH,
David McRitchie, Microsoft MVP -- Excel

"Max" wrote in message ...
Did you read my further responses to you in your earlier thread?
Btw, if you do copy formulas direct from postings,
always try pasting directly into the *formula bar*
(this avoids any ambiguity which may arise)
--
Max
Singapore