Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default I Need Help Returning Column Numbers

I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value (LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

=MATCH(LARGE(A1:Z1,1),A1:Z1,0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value (LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assuming Row 1....

=MATCH(MAX(1:1),1:1,0)

If it were Row 3...

=MATCH(MAX(3:3),3:3,0)

Rick

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value (LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Do you want the actual column number or the relative column number?

For example:

......J.....K.....L.....M.....N.....
......8.....2.....7......6......1......

Column J has the highest value. Column J's actual column number is 10 but
its relative column number is 1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value (LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try something like this:

=INDEX(COLUMN(J1:N1),MATCH(MAX(J1:N1),J1:N1,0))

If there are duplicate max values the formula will "find" the first instance
only.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
i need actual column number

Thanks,
Cory

"T. Valko" wrote:

Do you want the actual column number or the relative column number?

For example:

......J.....K.....L.....M.....N.....
......8.....2.....7......6......1......

Column J has the highest value. Column J's actual column number is 10 but
its relative column number is 1.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you explain why you can't use it? It (as well as the formula I posted)
both seem to work fine for me.

Rick

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=MATCH(LARGE(A1:Z1,1),A1:Z1,0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

it only works for the first highest number. I need to be able to use the same
formula for the second highest, third highest... and so on. And each time, I
need to recall the column number for each highest.

thanks,
cory

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=MATCH(LARGE(A1:Z1,1),A1:Z1,0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

How are you going to want the results presented to you? Can you use a macro?
I think it may have to be a macro in the end because if there are multiple
LARGE values, the get reported as the 1st, 2nd, etc.; that is, if 16 is the
largest value and there are two them, LARGE(range,1) and LARGE(range,2) are
both 16 (so macro may be needed to identify each 16 as the largest).

Rick

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=MATCH(LARGE(A1:Z1,1),A1:Z1,0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant
quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Ok, how about telling us the specific location of the data and where you
want the formula(s). It would even help if you could post a small example
with the results you expect.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Cory from Eugene" wrote in
message ...

"T. Valko" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can make each value unique:

.....10...11...12....13....14.....
......J.....K.....L.....M.....N.....
......8.....2.....7......8......1......

Array entered in J3 and copied across:

=INDEX(COLUMN($J1:$N1),MATCH(LARGE($J1:$N1-COLUMN($J1:$N1)/10^10,COLUMNS($J3:J3)),$J1:$N1-COLUMN($J1:$N1)/10^10,0))

Results: 10, 13, 12, 11, 14

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Rick Rothstein (MVP - VB)" wrote in
message ...

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try something like this:

=MATCH(LARGE(A1:Z1,1),A1:Z1,0)

Is that something you can work with?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"Cory from Eugene" wrote
in
message ...
I want to be able to search a row of number, find the largest value
(LARGE
function), and then return the Column Number of the cell. I cant
quite
figure
it out.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
Cory

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Lets say in A1 thru K1 we have:

1 2 10 11 9 7 5 3 8 4 6

In another cell enter:
=MATCH(LARGE($A$1:$K$1,ROWS($A$1:A1)),$A$1:$K$1,0)
and copy down to display:

4
3
5