George Teng

Default How to prevent double entry in excel?

Hi,

I'm trying to avoid double entry in this particular work here. Is there any
formulas or function that allow me to automatically detect the double entry?

George
Biff

Hi!

You can use Data Validation to do this.

Assume you'll be entering data in the range A1:A100 and
want to prevent any duplicate entries.

Select the range A1:A100
Goto DataValidation
From the Allow drop down select Custom
In the Formula box enter:

=COUNTIF($A$1:$A$100,$A1)<=1

If you want, you can create a custom message that will pop
up if a duplicate entry is attempted.

Click the Error Alert tab.

Use a message something like this:

You are attempting to make an entry that already exsists!

Click OK and you're all set!

Biff

.