Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Entering Time

Newbie question - how do I enter Time, once I have cell formatted.

Let's say the time I want to enter, and the format I want, is 1:55 PM

So far, the only way I can get my input to format itself is by enter: 1:55
up

Might as well type the whole thing as text.

Am I missing a shortcut or two here ?
Thx

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alright, go to the design of the table. Click on the field name that you want
to be formatted like this. On the bottom you'll see a properties list.

Under the general tab look for Input Mask
Click the little box next to it (...)

And then most likely you'll want Medium Time

Select it, save the table... and you should be good.

"Dave" wrote:

Newbie question - how do I enter Time, once I have cell formatted.

Let's say the time I want to enter, and the format I want, is 1:55 PM

So far, the only way I can get my input to format itself is by enter: 1:55
up

Might as well type the whole thing as text.

Am I missing a shortcut or two here ?
Thx

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Whoops, that was an explanation for access. Sorry about that.

In excel just highlight the area where you want that format.

Go to Format---Cells

Then go to the Number tab

Select time and then select the one that has the Time and a PM after it.

sorry about that

"Dave" wrote:

Newbie question - how do I enter Time, once I have cell formatted.

Let's say the time I want to enter, and the format I want, is 1:55 PM

So far, the only way I can get my input to format itself is by enter: 1:55
up

Might as well type the whole thing as text.

Am I missing a shortcut or two here ?
Thx

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No shortcuts for entering times and dates unless you want to go with VBA code.

Found at Chip Pearson's site.

http://www.cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008 13:27:13 -0600, "Dave" wrote:

Newbie question - how do I enter Time, once I have cell formatted.

Let's say the time I want to enter, and the format I want, is 1:55 PM

So far, the only way I can get my input to format itself is by enter: 1:55
up

Might as well type the whole thing as text.

Am I missing a shortcut or two here ?
Thx

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dave,

If the cell is formatted as "General" before you type in the
time/date/number/text, XL will try to guess which formatting you want and
auto adjust it accordingly.

If you want the format of "h:mm AM/PM" in several cells before you enter the
time, go explicitly set the format. Format menu Cells... Number tab
Category: listbox Time category Type: listbox should be the 3rd item
(1:30 PM).

Now, if you want to quickly enter time in a pre-formatted cell, use the 24
houre clock. For example, to enter 1:55 PM, enter 13:55.

HTH,

Conan

"Dave" wrote in message
Newbie question - how do I enter Time, once I have cell formatted.

Let's say the time I want to enter, and the format I want, is 1:55 PM

So far, the only way I can get my input to format itself is by enter:
1:55 up

Might as well type the whole thing as text.

Am I missing a shortcut or two here ?
Thx

Dave

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you everybody - good suggestions

Took me a while to find your responses. Somehow, my original message never
papered on my group - just your replies. Any ideas why that would happen?

Thanks again - much appreciated

Dave