Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Macros in excel

I posted last night. I don't know where it went. it's was a good post.
I will shorten it.

1.) I need to program a macro to clear a certian set or group of fields
everyday?
2.) I have it already programed on another sheet, but I can't find it to
copy it, change the fields to match my new sheet's fields.
3.) Can you have your macro not only clear fields but also add certian
numbers together. ( for instance, I sold four widgets today. That number is
in the f15 cell. I trying to keep track of how many widgets I sold all month
which is in f20 cell, so at the end of the day, when I clear my daily
numbers, I want the four to add to the total for the month and have my sheet
keep track.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Here is a typical "clear" example:

Sub clear_it()
Set r = Range("A1:A4, D2, F10:F15")
r.Clear
End Sub

The example is three disjoint areas
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"Chris" wrote:

I posted last night. I don't know where it went. it's was a good post.
I will shorten it.

1.) I need to program a macro to clear a certian set or group of fields
everyday?
2.) I have it already programed on another sheet, but I can't find it to
copy it, change the fields to match my new sheet's fields.
3.) Can you have your macro not only clear fields but also add certian
numbers together. ( for instance, I sold four widgets today. That number is
in the f15 cell. I trying to keep track of how many widgets I sold all month
which is in f20 cell, so at the end of the day, when I clear my daily
numbers, I want the four to add to the total for the month and have my sheet
keep track.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The code you'd want ahead of the clear operation to add the daily widgit
sales in F15 on a sheet into F20 on that, or another sheet would be similar
to this (your worksheet names will be different)

Worksheets("Rollup Totals").Range("F20") = _
Worksheets("Rollup Totals").Range("F20") + _
Worksheets("Last Daily Sheet").Range("F15")

If you know you'll always be on the "Last Daily Sheet" (the one to be
cleared) when the code is run it could read as:
Worksheets("Rollup Totals").Range("F20") = _
Worksheets("Rollup Totals").Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")

And finally, if both F15 and F20 are on the same sheet, then it can be
changed to:
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")

Hope that helps some with the other part of the problem.

"Chris" wrote:

I posted last night. I don't know where it went. it's was a good post.
I will shorten it.

1.) I need to program a macro to clear a certian set or group of fields
everyday?
2.) I have it already programed on another sheet, but I can't find it to
copy it, change the fields to match my new sheet's fields.
3.) Can you have your macro not only clear fields but also add certian
numbers together. ( for instance, I sold four widgets today. That number is
in the f15 cell. I trying to keep track of how many widgets I sold all month
which is in f20 cell, so at the end of the day, when I clear my daily
numbers, I want the four to add to the total for the month and have my sheet
keep track.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

would the macro then be all in the same command.

like...

ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")

Sub clear_it()
Set r = Range("A1:A4, D2, F10:F15")
r.Clear
End Sub

or would i have to put it in the sub command line?

"Chris" wrote:

I posted last night. I don't know where it went. it's was a good post.
I will shorten it.

1.) I need to program a macro to clear a certian set or group of fields
everyday?
2.) I have it already programed on another sheet, but I can't find it to
copy it, change the fields to match my new sheet's fields.
3.) Can you have your macro not only clear fields but also add certian
numbers together. ( for instance, I sold four widgets today. That number is
in the f15 cell. I trying to keep track of how many widgets I sold all month
which is in f20 cell, so at the end of the day, when I clear my daily
numbers, I want the four to add to the total for the month and have my sheet
keep track.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, I think. NOT like you showed, my added code would be inside of the Sub
.... End Sub lines, but above his Set r= statement. Like this:

Sub clear_it()
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")

Set r = Range("A1:A4, D2, F10:F15")
r.Clear
End Sub

Or whichever of the other variations of my command you decide works best for
you. Also, you should know that the " _" (space followed by underscore) is a
way of telling VB to continue the command on the next line. We use that
quite a bit in these forums to keep long lines of code from being broken up
by the system here. So writing it that way is exactly the same,
functionally, as writing it all on one line (which may get broken up here) as:
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + ActiveSheet.Range("F15")

Let's revisit the routine and see what it does:
Sub clear_it()
-- tells the VB engine that this is the beginning of a section of code we
want to be able to refer to as 'clear_it'.

ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")
-- says take the value in cell F20 on the currently selected worksheet and
replace that value with the result of adding that value to the value in cell
F15 on the same sheet. We need to do that before the r.Clear statement so
that we use F15 before its contents get wiped clean.

Set r = Range("A1:A4, D2, F10:F15")
-- says create a variable named r and and make it refer to the cells
specified in the Range() statement on the current/active worksheet. After
this anything we do to 'r' is the same as doing it to the individual cells it
refers to.

r.Clear
-- says clear everything in the cells that 'r' refers to.
End Sub

Note that there are several variations of the .Clear operation (called a
'method'), as:
..ClearContents will ONLY clear the value or formula in the cell.
..ClearFormat would clear any formatting (cell shading, font attributes,
borders, etc) of the cell, leaving the value of the cell untouched.

Hope this helps some.

"Chris" wrote:

I posted last night. I don't know where it went. it's was a good post.
I will shorten it.

1.) I need to program a macro to clear a certian set or group of fields
everyday?
2.) I have it already programed on another sheet, but I can't find it to
copy it, change the fields to match my new sheet's fields.
3.) Can you have your macro not only clear fields but also add certian
numbers together. ( for instance, I sold four widgets today. That number is
in the f15 cell. I trying to keep track of how many widgets I sold all month
which is in f20 cell, so at the end of the day, when I clear my daily
numbers, I want the four to add to the total for the month and have my sheet
keep track.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I got this error message ..method 'range' of object'_Global'

but... reading your message again it should say

Sub clear_it()
ActiveSheet.Range("n16") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n16") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c16")
ActiveSheet.Range("n17") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n17") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c17")
ActiveSheet.Range("n18") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n18") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c18")
ActiveSheet.Range("n19") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n19") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c19")
ActiveSheet.Range("n20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c20")
ActiveSheet.Range("n21") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n21") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c21")
ActiveSheet.Range("n22") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n22") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c22")
ActiveSheet.Range("n23") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n23") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c23")
ActiveSheet.Range("n24") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n24") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c24")
ActiveSheet.Range("n25") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n25") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c25")
ActiveSheet.Range("n26") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n26") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c26")
ActiveSheet.Range("n27") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n27") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c27")
ActiveSheet.Range("n28") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n28") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c28")
ActiveSheet.Range("n29") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n29") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c29")
ActiveSheet.Range("n30") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("n30") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("c30")

Set r = Range("f15:k16, f20:k22, f25:k28, f31:k33, b34:d35, c16:c30, 034")
r.ClearContents
End Sub

?
by the way.. the adding part works... YAY!!!!! thanks again.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

so ...
if I wanted for the person in the morning to hit one button and have all the
sheets do this action ( keep in mind, the totals would only be per worksheet
)
I have a master sheet that keep track of the total totals but I want each
sheet to build a monthly total on each sheet... for instance.
in the morning. on the master sheet there is a macro that runs that on
each of the 8 worksheets repeats this action on all the relevant cells.

"ActiveSheet.Range("F20") = _
ActiveSheet.Range("F20") + _
ActiveSheet.Range("F15")"

so it would be on each eight worksheet would do this ... but fromone button
on the master sheet and nothing would rollup to this master sheet. Or.. ?