Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Insert date in formula

Hello,

I have a column of start dates and another column to figure out the number
of days between start date and the end of the year. The formula I want to
enter is
=31 Dec 2008 - Start date
This will give me the number of billable days in 2008.
I can populate this data by putting 31-dec-2008 in a cell and referring to
it. However, is there anyway to put this date in the formula itself?

Regards
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

With the start date in column A, in B1 enter:

=DATE(2008,12,31)-A1

then format B1 to integer
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"Jyoti" wrote:

Hello,

I have a column of start dates and another column to figure out the number
of days between start date and the end of the year. The formula I want to
enter is
=31 Dec 2008 - Start date
This will give me the number of billable days in 2008.
I can populate this data by putting 31-dec-2008 in a cell and referring to
it. However, is there anyway to put this date in the formula itself?

Regards

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi

You can put the date in the formula if you wish
="31/12/2008"-A1+1

You need the +1 on the end, if you are going to include the whole of the
first day and the whole of the last day.
This applies whether you incorporate the date in the formula, or a cell
value.

I would advise against incorporating the date directly in a formula. If you
need to make a change, all the formulae have to altered.
Place the date for the end of the year in a cell somewhere out of the way on
your sheet e.g. X1 then use
=$X$1-A1+1
or
with the date in X1, enter the name Yearend in the small white box to the
left of column A and above the number 1, then press Enter.
This will name that cell as Yearend, and you could then use
=Yearend-A1+1

--
Regards
Roger Govier