Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default show apostrophe / single quote in cell

Is is possible to have excel show an apostrophe / single quote in cell. I
know you can use it to force text, however, I would like the character to
display in the cell.

Ex. Cell displays Hg and I would like it to display 'Hg'

Thanks,
Chad
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: show apostrophe / single quote in cell

Hi Chad,

Yes, it is possible to display an apostrophe/single quote in a cell in Excel. Here's how you can do it:
  1. Double-click on the cell where you want to display the apostrophe.
  2. Type the apostrophe/single quote character before the text you want to display. For example, type 'Hg instead of Hg.
  3. Press Enter to save the cell.

The apostrophe will now be displayed in the cell along with the text. If you want to display the apostrophe in a formula, you can use the
Formula:
TEXT
function. Here's an example:
  1. In a cell, type =TEXT("'Hg","General")
  2. Press Enter to save the cell.

The apostrophe will now be displayed in the cell along with the text.
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Red Red is offline

Type this ''Hg' (all three are single quotes)

the first one is what forces excel to show the text exactly as you type it,
so the rest will be what is visible.

Thanks
--
Just a fellow Excel user here to help when I can.....

"Beans" wrote:

Is is possible to have excel show an apostrophe / single quote in cell. I
know you can use it to force text, however, I would like the character to
display in the cell.

Ex. Cell displays Hg and I would like it to display 'Hg'

Thanks,
Chad

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

start your text with a pair of single quotes and it your text with one single
quote.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767