Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Annoying single quote with ever new workbook

Whenever I start a new workbook, if I enter text into a cell and press enter,
in the formula bar the text is preceded with a single quote. I have obviously
switched something on somewhere for this to happen. I know I can do a
Find/Replace, but I dont want to do this for every workbook I produce. Does
anybody know how to switch it off?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi oldtimer

In every cell in each new workbook ???

If you look in your XLstart folder is there aworkbook named Book.xlt ??
Try to move it out of the XLstart folder

Where it is: C:\Documents and Settings\<User\Application Data\Microsoft\Excel\XLSTART

With code you find the path with this line
MsgBox Application.StartupPath

--

Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl/tips.htm

"oldtimer" wrote in message ...
Whenever I start a new workbook, if I enter text into a cell and press enter,
in the formula bar the text is preceded with a single quote. I have obviously
switched something on somewhere for this to happen. I know I can do a
Find/Replace, but I dont want to do this for every workbook I produce. Does
anybody know how to switch it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does the single quote change to double quote if you right-align or change to an
caret (^) if you center-align?

My guess is you have Transition Navigation Keys enable under
ToolsOptionsTransition.

Uncheck that option and the two below it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007 04:43:13 -0800, oldtimer
wrote:

Whenever I start a new workbook, if I enter text into a cell and press enter,
in the formula bar the text is preceded with a single quote. I have obviously
switched something on somewhere for this to happen. I know I can do a
Find/Replace, but I don’t want to do this for every workbook I produce. Does
anybody know how to switch it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Gord,

You're on the money, thanks that's been really annoyying me, I know I
haven't actually gone there and clicked it on, so how did it get like that?

Thanks for you help to Ron

wrote:

Whenever I start a new workbook, if I enter text into a cell and press enter,
in the formula bar the text is preceded with a single quote. I have obviously
switched something on somewhere for this to happen. I know I can do a
Find/Replace, but I dont want to do this for every workbook I produce. Does
anybody know how to switch it off?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

This setting is a global setting....not workbook-specific so at some point it
had to be checked by someone.

Some settings like Calculation Mode(auto or manual) are set by the first
workbook opened in a session of Excel.

The calc mode setting catches a lot of people. First workbook is set to manual
which subsequent workbooks inherit.

Not so with the Transition Keys setting.

All or none.

Gord