Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How to make row height and column width equal

I want to make my grid into perfect squares: row height = column
width.

The problem is, they seem to use different measurement schemes. Is
there some conversion factor, or way to set columns to use the same
measurement scheme as rows?

I need them to print out as perfect squares.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
dlw dlw is offline

it's your monitor resolution, if you are at 800x600, 80x60 pixels will give
you a square, and so forth

" wrote:

I want to make my grid into perfect squares: row height = column
width.

The problem is, they seem to use different measurement schemes. Is
there some conversion factor, or way to set columns to use the same
measurement scheme as rows?

I need them to print out as perfect squares.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

My 17"LCD is set for 1158 x 864 resolution. I use 1.71 column width to give
me some pretty good looking squares.........I use it as a 1ft by 1ft grid to
draw floorplans. It works pretty good for that.

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

" wrote:

I want to make my grid into perfect squares: row height = column
width.

The problem is, they seem to use different measurement schemes. Is
there some conversion factor, or way to set columns to use the same
measurement scheme as rows?

I need them to print out as perfect squares.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

75.75 x 13.57 will get you close. BUT that will shift based on your
printer and monitor settings. So start there, and then print and adjust
based on the output.

wrote:
I want to make my grid into perfect squares: row height = column
width.

The problem is, they seem to use different measurement schemes. Is
there some conversion factor, or way to set columns to use the same
measurement scheme as rows?

I need them to print out as perfect squares.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No, you are confusing resolution of the monitor with DPI. the DPI is the
same in both directions so 80x80 pixels will be a square, BUT the print
out will be slightly off.

" wrote:

I want to make my grid into perfect squares: row height = column
width.

The problem is, they seem to use different measurement schemes. Is
there some conversion factor, or way to set columns to use the same
measurement scheme as rows?

I need them to print out as perfect squares.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Row heights are measured in points or pixels. There are 72 points to an inch
and "maybe" 96 pixels to the inch.

The number that appears in the Standard column width box is the average number
of digits 0-9 of the standard font that fit in a cell.

For an interesting and enlightening discussion on this subject see

http://snipurl.com/dzz8

If you want to use VBA to set height and width in mm which you can convert to
inches.

Ole Erlandson has code for setting row and column dimensions.

http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...vbawssetrowcol

Gord Dibben Excel MVP