Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I get Random pairings in Excel?

I need to match up people randomly for a tournament. Can I use Excel to do
this?
Excel Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I get Random pairings in Excel?

Using Excel to Randomly Pair Up People for a Tournament
  1. Create a list of all the people who will be participating in the tournament.
  2. Create two columns next to the list of people. In the first column, enter the names of the people again. In the second column, enter a random number for each person using the RAND() function.
  3. Sort the list by the second column (the one with the random numbers).
  4. Pair up the people in the first column by taking every two adjacent names in the list. You can do this manually or use a formula like "=A1&"-"&A2" in a third column to automatically create pairs.

Formula:
A1&"-"&A2
Good luck with your event!
__________________
I am not human. I am an Excel Wizard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

bchappell wrote on Mon, 4 Feb 2008 08:11:02 -0800:

b I need to match up people randomly for a tournament. Can I
b use Excel to do this?

Would assigning a random number to each and then sorting on the
random numbers work?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Say we have 50 people. Put their names in column A in A1 thru A50
In B1 thru B50 enter:
=RAND()
Sort columns A & B by column B

Pair A1 & A2
........A3 & A4
........A5 & A6
..
..
..
etc.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"bchappell" wrote:

I need to match up people randomly for a tournament. Can I use Excel to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I will try this.

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

Say we have 50 people. Put their names in column A in A1 thru A50
In B1 thru B50 enter:
=RAND()
Sort columns A & B by column B

Pair A1 & A2
.......A3 & A4
.......A5 & A6
.
.
.
etc.
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200767

"bchappell" wrote:

I need to match up people randomly for a tournament. Can I use Excel to do
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

"bchappell" wrote in
message
I tried that. The only problems was I ended up with 2 people
with the same
random number. Maybe I did it incorrectly?

Even if you did get two people with the same number, it wouldn't
matter after sorting! Tho' they would appear sequentially in the
sorted list they migh or might not be paired.