Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default time formatt

I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though I know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most figures
except these times.
Can anyone help
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Please give more details
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Liana" wrote in message
I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to
summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though I
know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to
sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most figures
except these times.
Can anyone help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps you should post to microsoft.public.excel.clairvoyant ?

*You* can see what formula you have, and what is in the relevant cells, but
you have chosen *not* to tell us, so you aren't doing much to help you to
get an answer. Look carefully at what is in *each* of the cells that feed
into the formula (and don't make assumptions based on what you *think* is
there). You may need to change the format of display of those cells so
that you can be certain what you've got in there, and that you're not (for
example) confusing hh:mm with mm:ss. It may be safest to format all the
relevant cells as [h]:mm:ss to give youself a better chance of spotting such
problems.
--
David Biddulph

"Liana" wrote in message
I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to
summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though I
know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to
sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most figures
except these times.
Can anyone help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

most of my timings are "work " x time eg a = 0.02 mins so monthly total of
a's = 31 X 0.02 mins = 1 hour 02 mins
However for training or lost time or meetings there is no set time that
should be taken as they can vary so these are input manually to the worksheet
& it is these that are showing wrong

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Please give more details
best wishes
--

"Liana" wrote in message
I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to
summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though I
know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to
sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most figures
except these times.
Can anyone help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

31 times 0.02 minutes would be 0.62 minutes (or 37.2 seconds), not 1 hour
and 2 minutes. You need to be careful in your distinction between the
decimal point and the colon which is used to separate hours, minutes, and
seconds. If you haven't been careful in that regard, it's not surprising if
you're not getting the result you expect. Another thing to watch out for is
if you have been putting in some of your times as minutes, rather than as
Excel times. In that case, what formula have you used to convert from
minutes to Excel time?
--
David Biddulph

"Liana" wrote in message
most of my timings are "work " x time eg a = 0.02 mins so monthly total of
a's = 31 X 0.02 mins = 1 hour 02 mins
However for training or lost time or meetings there is no set time that
should be taken as they can vary so these are input manually to the
worksheet
& it is these that are showing wrong

"Bernard Liengme" wrote:

Please give more details
best wishes
--

"Liana" wrote in message
I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to
summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though
know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to
sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most
figures
except these times.
Can anyone help

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Bonsour® Liana avec ferveur ;o))) vous nous disiez :

most of my timings are "work " x time eg a = 0.02 mins so monthly
total of a's = 31 X 0.02 mins = 1 hour 02 mins
However for training or lost time or meetings there is no set time
that should be taken as they can vary so these are input manually to
the worksheet & it is these that are showing wrong

don't use decimal separator !!!
you must type : a = 0:02 ( ie 0 hour 2 mins)
so 31 X 0:02 is 1:02

HTH

--
@+
;o)))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you, I have tried to re formatt , this is all very new to me so i am
trying to set up a workbook and read my excel book but since I have never had
anything to do with excel till 3 weeks ago it is a bit confusing, just when I
thought I had got to understand it a bit all this happens which is
frustrating, also is there any way of doing a check on the entire workbook as
i have summed some figures nad to do a double check i summed them again
horizontally & i am 2 hours out somewhere , i think it must be in one of the
formulas but to go through every persons page from 1st Jan - 31st Jan will
take ages ??

"Liana" wrote:

I have a productivity workbook which has 19 pages, I am trying to summarise
two of the final figures & the time is showing as 99:35:00 even though I know
it should in fact only be 27 hours 40 mins, i have tried everything to sort
this & cannot see where I am going wrong.
On each page I have a total time worked & a total time used giving a
monthly productivity percentage.
I tried to sum the first to the last page & it has worked for most figures
except these times.
Can anyone help

Formatt date from text Hoot Excel Worksheet Functions 3 September 21st 07 06:34 PM
Formatt cell bob b New Users to Excel 4 April 25th 07 03:55 PM
Today() ... Month() ... Formatt mmm Ken Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 4 March 2nd 07 05:01 PM
How do I add a zero in front of a text formatt number? p210driver Excel Worksheet Functions 3 November 14th 06 02:41 AM
Time formatt Bash Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 8 November 7th 05 09:52 PM