Dave White

Default Excel Menu Corruption

I tried to create an excel macro for the 'Sheet Hide' command from the menu.
All I did was corrupted this command on the menu. Now it always tries to hide
the sheet in the file I had open when I tried to create the macro.

Is there something less drastic than un-installing/re-installing office?

TIA

Dave White

Gord Dibben

Dave

If you post your code we would have a better chance to help you.

Did you use the macro recorder when creating the macro?

Possibly you have the sheet name hard-coded in the code.

If you replace that hard-coded name with ActiveSheet perhaps would be better.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 08:07:01 -0800, "Dave White"
wrote:

I tried to create an excel macro for the 'Sheet Hide' command from the menu.
All I did was corrupted this command on the menu. Now it always tries to hide
the sheet in the file I had open when I tried to create the macro.

Is there something less drastic than un-installing/re-installing office?

TIA

Dave White

Dave White

Gord,

I did not 'create' a macro as such. What I attempted to do was copy the
existing Menu Command 'Hide Sheet' to a macro button. 'fileA.xls' was open to
'Sheet 1' at the time I created this macro button.

What I ended up getting was a modification to Menu command 'Hide Sheet' that
tries to first Open 'fileA.xls' and then hide 'Sheet 1'. I cannot get the
'Hide Sheet' command to work generically anymore. I do not have access to
this code (under lock of a MS password, I think).

Does this make sense. Sorry, using Excel 2k.

wrote:

I tried to create an excel macro for the 'Sheet Hide' command from the menu.
All I did was corrupted this command on the menu. Now it always tries to hide
the sheet in the file I had open when I tried to create the macro.

Is there something less drastic than un-installing/re-installing office?

TIA

Dave White

Gord Dibben

Dave

I assume you went in through ToolsCustomize and FormatSheetHide and made
the modification to that menu item.

Try ToolsCustomize and drag the Format Menu off the Worksheet Menu Bar.

Then select Commands tab and "Built-in Menus". Select Format and drag it up
to the worksheet menu bar.

If you want a "hide sheet" macro on a button, I would suggest recording a
macro whilst using Excel's FormatSheetHide.

Then assign that macro to a button.

Gord

wrote:

I tried to create an excel macro for the 'Sheet Hide' command from the menu.
All I did was corrupted this command on the menu. Now it always tries to hide
the sheet in the file I had open when I tried to create the macro.

Is there something less drastic than un-installing/re-installing office?

TIA

Dave White

Gord Dibben

Thanks for the feedback Dave.