Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default format cell: right align with indent

Hi,
How do you format a cell so that it is right-aligned but indented (from the
right) so the data is not right up against the side of the cell?
You can do this with left align (indent it from the left), but in my version
of excel you can't do it from the right.
Any ideas? I've looked for "cell padding", for example, but no luck.
Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Which version of Excel are you running?

I believe Right Indent has been around for quite a while but I only have 2003
running at present.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 1 Feb 2008 06:06:01 -0800, wb198
wrote:

Hi,
How do you format a cell so that it is right-aligned but indented (from the
right) so the data is not right up against the side of the cell?
You can do this with left align (indent it from the left), but in my version
of excel you can't do it from the right.
Any ideas? I've looked for "cell padding", for example, but no luck.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks for the feedback

I didn't know Excel 2000 did not have a right indent.

You could run a macro on currently entered text or use event code to add a space
after the text in each cell as you entered it.

Post back if interested in either method........or both.

Gord

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:26:03 -0800, wb198
wrote:

Excell 2000,
thanks

wrote:

Hi,
How do you format a cell so that it is right-aligned but indented (from the
right) so the data is not right up against the side of the cell?
You can do this with left align (indent it from the left), but in my version
of excel you can't do it from the right.
Any ideas? I've looked for "cell padding", for example, but no luck.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thing is I am most interested in doing this for numbers, not text, so they
line up properly (right align) but not right up against the side of the
cells.
i thing the easiest will be to upgrade to Excel 2003 then!

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback

I didn't know Excel 2000 did not have a right indent.

You could run a macro on currently entered text or use event code to add a space
after the text in each cell as you entered it.

Post back if interested in either method........or both.

Gord

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:26:03 -0800, wb198
wrote:

Excell 2000,
thanks

wrote:

Hi,
How do you format a cell so that it is right-aligned but indented (from the
right) so the data is not right up against the side of the cell?
You can do this with left align (indent it from the left), but in my version
of excel you can't do it from the right.
Any ideas? I've looked for "cell padding", for example, but no luck.
Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try the accounting format which gives you a right side indent and lines up on
decimal points.

You could change the accounting style to remove the $ signs if you so choose.

Gord

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Thanks for the feedback

I didn't know Excel 2000 did not have a right indent.

You could run a macro on currently entered text or use event code to add a space
after the text in each cell as you entered it.

Post back if interested in either method........or both.

Gord

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008 07:26:03 -0800, wb198
wrote:

Excell 2000,
thanks