Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Hide Columns and Protect cells v2003

Hi, I have some confidential info within cells in columns that should not be
viewed by staff. Can you advise the best way I can somehow hide these columns
and not allow staff to simply "Unhide" the columns. Can I password protect
hidden columns?
--
Regards
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You can protect the worksheet with a password, but this type of protection is
easily broken.

If you have stuff that you don't want others to see, don't put it in excel. If
you have to put it in excel, then don't share the file with others.

Mike wrote:

Hi, I have some confidential info within cells in columns that should not be
viewed by staff. Can you advise the best way I can somehow hide these columns
and not allow staff to simply "Unhide" the columns. Can I password protect
hidden columns?
--
Regards
Mike

--

Dave Peterson
Junior Member

Hi, select all the worksheet and go to Format|cells|protection and unprotect everything. then highlight those cells that you do not want changing and go back to format|cells|protection and check the protection option. Next select the column you want to hide and Format|Columns|hide this column and then go to Tools|protection|Protect sheet.

This will hide this column with the protection password that you choose. However, one word of warning, someone could actually write a formula to specify the column data, since they are only hidden. I.e. if you had hidden column D. you could type in column E '=D1' and fill down and hence see all the information in column D. I do not know how to get around this as yet.

Garry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike View Post
Hi, I have some confidential info within cells in columns that should not be
viewed by staff. Can you advise the best way I can somehow hide these columns
and not allow staff to simply "Unhide" the columns. Can I password protect
hidden columns?
--
Regards
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Garry

See Dave's response to this thread don't include sensitive data in the
workbook.

That's how you get around it.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Thu, 31 Jan 2008 16:51:16 +0000, Garrystone
wrote:

I do not know how to get
around this as yet.