Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Wildcard * for SUMIFS

I am trying to do a SUMIFS calculation and the wildcards are not working.
Here is the formula:

=SUMIFS('Rents'!U:U,'Rents'!Y:Y,"y",'Rents'!P:P,"* ",'Rents'!O:O,"*")

Where 'Rents'!O:O is a dollar figure. I need it to include data from the
sum range only if there is an entry (any entry) for the rent figure from
Column O.

I am testing it on one row of data, with "10" entered in Column O. When I
use "*" it does not count the data in sum range, if I enter the exact data
("10") it does. Thus the wildcard is not working to return a TRUE for the
data in question.

How do I get this to work? Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wildcards don't work on numbers, only TEXT.

Maybe this:

=SUMIFS('Rents'!U:U,'Rents'!Y:Y,"y",'Rents'!P:P,"* ",'Rents'!O:O,"0")

You didn't say what's in P:P. If it's numeric the "*" won't work.

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Steve Kasher" wrote in message
I am trying to do a SUMIFS calculation and the wildcards are not working.
Here is the formula:

=SUMIFS('Rents'!U:U,'Rents'!Y:Y,"y",'Rents'!P:P,"* ",'Rents'!O:O,"*")

Where 'Rents'!O:O is a dollar figure. I need it to include data from the
sum range only if there is an entry (any entry) for the rent figure from
Column O.

I am testing it on one row of data, with "10" entered in Column O. When I
use "*" it does not count the data in sum range, if I enter the exact data
("10") it does. Thus the wildcard is not working to return a TRUE for the
data in question.

How do I get this to work? Thanks for your help.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you're summing column 0, what difference does it make if you include or
exclude cells that are empty or 0's?

0+anynumber (and an empty cell will be treated as 0) is just that anynumber.

Steve Kasher wrote:

I am trying to do a SUMIFS calculation and the wildcards are not working.
Here is the formula:

=SUMIFS('Rents'!U:U,'Rents'!Y:Y,"y",'Rents'!P:P,"* ",'Rents'!O:O,"*")

Where 'Rents'!O:O is a dollar figure. I need it to include data from the
sum range only if there is an entry (any entry) for the rent figure from
Column O.

I am testing it on one row of data, with "10" entered in Column O. When I
use "*" it does not count the data in sum range, if I enter the exact data
("10") it does. Thus the wildcard is not working to return a TRUE for the
data in question.

How do I get this to work? Thanks for your help.

--

Dave Peterson