Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel references within references?

If I want one cell to display the contents of another cell based on a value
input in a third cell, I am unable to get it done.

If cell A1 is the input cell, and I type in 25, I would like cell A100 to
display the value of cell A25.

Excel will not allow me to key in the follwing formula in Cell A100:
=(A(A1))
I cannot use the value in A1 to determine which row within column a to
extract data for cell A100.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

In A100 enter:

=INDIRECT("A" & A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You want the indirect formula. Something like this...

=indirect("A" & A1)
in cell A100
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Mike" wrote:

If I want one cell to display the contents of another cell based on a value
input in a third cell, I am unable to get it done.

If cell A1 is the input cell, and I type in 25, I would like cell A100 to
display the value of cell A25.

Excel will not allow me to key in the follwing formula in Cell A100:
=(A(A1))
I cannot use the value in A1 to determine which row within column a to
extract data for cell A100.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 09:51:09 -0800, Mike
wrote:

If I want one cell to display the contents of another cell based on a value
input in a third cell, I am unable to get it done.

If cell A1 is the input cell, and I type in 25, I would like cell A100 to
display the value of cell A25.

Excel will not allow me to key in the follwing formula in Cell A100:
=(A(A1))
I cannot use the value in A1 to determine which row within column a to
extract data for cell A100.

=OFFSET(A1,A1-1,0)
=INDEX(A1:A99,A1)
=INDIRECT("a"&A1)

--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks! it worked

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In A100 enter:

=INDIRECT("A" & A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

WOW... A lot of people can't wear gold but it looks good on you...
Congratulaions on officially being recognized as someone who has spent way
too much time around here. ;-)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson

"Gary''s Student" wrote:

In A100 enter:

=INDIRECT("A" & A1)
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

thanks
--
Gary''s Student - gsnu200766

"Jim Thomlinson" wrote:

WOW... A lot of people can't wear gold but it looks good on you...
Congratulaions on officially being recognized as someone who has spent way
too much time around here. ;-)
--
HTH...

Jim Thomlinson