Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Running Virus Scan

I was wondering if there was a way to stop the virus scan from running
everytime i open a xlsx file? Is this an Excel thing or is my virus
protection doing this as i have not set it to do this. If it is possible in
Excel I only want it to be off for the documents I choose.

Thank you in advance
Ken
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It is your AV application that is requesting the scan.

Somewhere in its configuration should be a dialog where you can disable/enable
scans for particular file types.

Look for where you can set "exclusions" or similar.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:58:09 -0800, Ken in Indiana <Ken in
wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to stop the virus scan from running
everytime i open a xlsx file? Is this an Excel thing or is my virus
protection doing this as i have not set it to do this. If it is possible in
Excel I only want it to be off for the documents I choose.

Thank you in advance
Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

No it is not my A.V. that is requesting the scan I disabled the Anti-virus
software and I still have the Running virus scan everytime I open the excel
file. I am developing a vb.net program that saves the values created in the
app to an .xlsx file. What I want is to not have the virus scan run everytime
I test it on that file.

wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to stop the virus scan from running
everytime i open a xlsx file? Is this an Excel thing or is my virus
protection doing this as i have not set it to do this. If it is possible in
Excel I only want it to be off for the documents I choose.

Thank you in advance
Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Excel does not have a virus scan facility. If you have a virus scan
running, it must be virus scanning software. Either you've not successfully
disabled it, or you have another AV package of which you were not aware.
You may be able to see from Windows Task Manager which program is running.
If all else fails, uninstall your AV package (but stay disconnected from
sources of infection while you do so).
--
David Biddulph

wrote:

I was wondering if there was a way to stop the virus scan from running
everytime i open a xlsx file? Is this an Excel thing or is my virus
protection doing this as i have not set it to do this. If it is possible
in
Excel I only want it to be off for the documents I choose.

Thank you in advance
Ken

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Dan
I found the avgoff2k.dll and tried to unregister it and I recieved the
following
DllUnregisterServer in C:\Program Files\Grisoft\AVG7\avgoff2k.dll Failed
Return Code was : 0x80070005

There was only one instance of avgoff2k.dll and there were no instances of
officeav.dll

Thank you for your response
Ken

"Stan Brown" wrote:

Mon, 28 Jan 2008 17:58:09 -0800 from <?B?
S2VuIGluIEluZGlhbmE=?= <Ken in :
I was wondering if there was a way to stop the virus scan from running
everytime i open a xlsx file? Is this an Excel thing or is my virus
protection doing this as i have not set it to do this. If it is possible in
Excel I only want it to be off for the documents I choose.

Use Windows Explorer or My Computer to search your hard drive for the
Officeav.dll and Avgoff2k.dll files. Be sure to include hidden and
system files in the search options. If you find either (or both),
unregister it (or them) by clicking on Start | Run, and in the Open
box, enter:

regsvr32 /u "c:\{path}\officeav.dll"
regsvr32 /u "c:\{path}\avgoff2k.dll"

source:
http://www.techtalkz.com/microsoft-o...20-word-excel-
powerpoint-requesting-virus-scan.html

http://OakRoadSystems.com/

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you for your response I did disable the anti-virus software although
the component Resident shield stays running (no way to turn that off without
uninstalling) but i did and the scanning stopped. So now I decided to try to
turn it off in the program and nope i am stuck with it so i guess when the
subscription is up on my anti-virus I will look for one with better control
over what is scanned and what is not.....

Thank you for your help
Ken