Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default text and number

Thanks for any help.
I am trying to get a cell with a formula and text.
Something like for A1
=B1*C1&"% - "&D1*E1
But I get a #VALUE! error for this. However, when I opened another new
workbook, I could do it without error. I tried changing the cell format to
general, but to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Perhaps one or more of the values in B1:E1 are text and not real numbers?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:12:04 -0800, Ian Elliott
wrote:

Thanks for any help.
I am trying to get a cell with a formula and text.
Something like for A1
=B1*C1&"% - "&D1*E1
But I get a #VALUE! error for this. However, when I opened another new
workbook, I could do it without error. I tried changing the cell format to
general, but to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Isn't that what the OP had, Bob?
--
David Biddulph

"Bob Phillips" wrote in message
=B1*C1&"% - "&D1*E1

"Ian Elliott" wrote in message
Thanks for any help.
I am trying to get a cell with a formula and text.
Something like for A1
=B1*C1&"% - "&D1*E1
But I get a #VALUE! error for this. However, when I opened another new
workbook, I could do it without error. I tried changing the cell format
general, but to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And you're positive that all your values are numbers--none of that HTML
non-breaking spaces in any of those cells, right?

If you're positive, then try toggling this setting:
(in xl2003 menus)

Tools|Options|Transition tab|Uncheck Transition Formula Evaluation

In fact, I'd recommend that you turn off all those Lotus 123 settings. They're
more irritating than useful (to me, at least).

Ian Elliott wrote:

Thanks for any help.
I am trying to get a cell with a formula and text.
Something like for A1
=B1*C1&"% - "&D1*E1
But I get a #VALUE! error for this. However, when I opened another new
workbook, I could do it without error. I tried changing the cell format to
general, but to no avail. Any ideas?
Thanks.

--

Dave Peterson