Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Updating a file by another file

Hi All,

I need you help.

I have 2 Excel files.
In the file X I have a lot of records, each contains an identifier
and a lot of other columns, lets say B, C,..., K
In the file Y there are only some records with the same identifier
as in the file X but with other columns, lets say L,M,N.
The file Y doesn't contain any records with identifiers which are
not in the file X.
What I need is someting like updating file X by data in file Y,
i.e. a new file Z with all records from the file X where records which
identifiers are in the file Y should have also data in the columns
L,M,N from the file Y.
I don't know how to do it "automatically".

I will be very grateful for your help.

Regards,
Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have a look in help at VLOOKUP
Then come back with more questions
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Adam" wrote in message
Hi All,

I need you help.

I have 2 Excel files.
In the file X I have a lot of records, each contains an identifier
and a lot of other columns, lets say B, C,..., K
In the file Y there are only some records with the same identifier
as in the file X but with other columns, lets say L,M,N.
The file Y doesn't contain any records with identifiers which are
not in the file X.
What I need is someting like updating file X by data in file Y,
i.e. a new file Z with all records from the file X where records which
identifiers are in the file Y should have also data in the columns
L,M,N from the file Y.
I don't know how to do it "automatically".

I will be very grateful for your help.

Regards,
Adam

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Bernard.
I tried to grasp the vlookup but unfortunately I couldn't.
My experience in Excel is not enough. :-(
But I tried to solve my problem without it and at the
moment I need a solution for something simpler.
The task is as follows:
Let's say that :
B1=0
B2=0
B3=1
B4=0
B5=1
B6=0
B7=0
B8=0
etc.
There are never Bi=1 one by one (there is at least one 0
between them) and B1=0.
If Bi=1 then I have to copy Fi to F(i-1), Gi to G(i-1), Hi to H(i-1).
This is all what I need.

Could anyone tell me how to do it automatically?
Please help me.