Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Working with vlookups

How do I use the vlookup function (or else) to find data from 4 different
sheets? For example I need to extract information about a part # but the list
is 4 sheets long. The part #'s are numeric and alphanumeric.

The report is 4 sheets big full of inventory data (for example Part #=column
A and price=column B). I added a 5th sheet and I need to get inventory
information about any part # as soon as I type it in
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Why can't you have all the data on one sheet?

Each sheet can have 65536 rows of data.

Do you have 262,144 rows of data spread over 4 sheets so you need a fifth sheet
to add more?

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Mon, 28 Jan 2008 09:21:01 -0800, Byron720
wrote:

How do I use the vlookup function (or else) to find data from 4 different
sheets? For example I need to extract information about a part # but the list
is 4 sheets long. The part #'s are numeric and alphanumeric.

The report is 4 sheets big full of inventory data (for example Part #=column
A and price=column B). I added a 5th sheet and I need to get inventory
information about any part # as soon as I type it in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Byron,

If I am being honest I would say that you should probably put your data into
Access but as people don't find it too helpfull when I say that, here is a
tiny bit of VBA which should solve your problems:

HTH

Simon

Sub extendedLookup()

Dim wksht As Worksheet
Dim i As Double
Dim lkupValue

'Cell where the value you want to find is stored
lkupValue = Sheets("Sheet4").Range("A1").Value

For Each wksht In ActiveWorkbook.Worksheets

For i = 1 To 65535
If wksht.Name < "Sheet4" Then 'Sheet your lookup value is on
If wksht.Range("a1").Offset(i, 0).Value = lkupValue Then
MsgBox "Value found. Price is" & wksht.Range("a1").Offset(i, 1).
Value
Exit Sub
Next i

Next wksht

Byron720 wrote:
How do I use the vlookup function (or else) to find data from 4 different
sheets? For example I need to extract information about a part # but the list
is 4 sheets long. The part #'s are numeric and alphanumeric.

The report is 4 sheets big full of inventory data (for example Part #=column
A and price=column B). I added a 5th sheet and I need to get inventory
information about any part # as soon as I type it in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes Gord, I have almost 4 sheets (262,144 rows) of data. I just use the fifth
sheet to obtain the data from the other 4. they all have part #'s and prices.
on the fifth page I just need to get the price as soon as I type the part #.

wrote:

How do I use the vlookup function (or else) to find data from 4 different
sheets? For example I need to extract information about a part # but the list
is 4 sheets long. The part #'s are numeric and alphanumeric.

The report is 4 sheets big full of inventory data (for example Part #=column
A and price=column B). I added a 5th sheet and I need to get inventory
information about any part # as soon as I type it in

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Check out Biff's methods and a sample workbook at this google search result.

http://tinyurl.com/2xveaq

Gord