Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default formula/a way to find unmatch items in two file

Hello

I have two files (name it 1 & 2) with a list of items. some of the items in
file2 doesn't exist in file1. I want to find them as it is a long list
manually it will take along time.

I used match formula in a new sheet to prepare a report there is 2 problem:
* I wrote in a cell: =MATCH('file1'!F4:F252,'[file2.xls]Hu'!$D$5:$D$306,0)
and it gives me #NA. I can undrestand that such report can't be prepared in
just a cell! so what should I do?
* Even using MATCH formula will give me the answer of the oposit of my
question. I want to find the items which doesn't exist in file1 but this
formula (if worked!) would give me the place of items which exist!

Please kindly help me to solve this problem. I am not proffessional in using
formula to answer my question and sometimes I can't find my required formula
in excel Help.

Thanks in advance
Bahareh

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

To make it less confusing, you could try it like this

With file2.xls simultaneously open,

In your sheet: file1,
Using say, col G
Put in G4:
= IF(F4="","",--ISERROR(MATCH(F4,[file2.xls]Hu!$D$5:$D$306,0)))
Copy G4 down to G252 (the last row of data in col F). G4:G252 will flag
matched items as 0's, unmatched items as 1's. You could then select G3:G252
and apply autofilter, filter in G3 for: 1, to retrieve all unmatched items
--
Max
Singapore