Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What do I do when using the Large function if 2 entries are the sa

The first page looks like this. I want page 2 to look like this. On page 2
Results
Page 1 is named WKLY. Page 2 is named Results. I used
LARGE 1, etc
A B C A B C
1 1st# 2nd# name 1st# 2nd# name The cell A2
formula is
2 340 352 mike 362 432 bob
=LARGE(wkly!$A$2:$A$5,1)
3 340 641 tom 358 516 joe etc 2,3,4. I
received a formula
4 358 516 joe 340 352 mike from Max to
make the info
5 362 432 bob 340 641 tom match in
columns b & c.
=INDEX(wkly!a$2:a$5,MATCH(LARGE(wkly!$a$2:$a$5,ROW S($1:1)),wkly!$a$2:$a$5,0))
This worked well except for the duplicates. I received another formula from
Max but I can't seem to make that work. Any help would be appreciated. I hope
this example makes sense. Thanks, jeel.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

Post a link to your sample file. Use:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/

--
Max
Singapore

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If there can also be duplicates in 2nd# then this becomes complicated!

For example:

300...400...Joe
400...300...Tom
300...400...Lisa

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"jeel" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default What do I do when using the Large function if 2 entries are th

I tried to straighten out the example. I am working in groups of 4.
Yes, column b could have duplicates of column a, but from one of the
other 3. Column c would never be a duplicate as I would add the
first initial of the last name. The occurance of duplicates in a and b
as I have described is rare. For column a and column b to be the same
number for the same person would be even rarer. Just about impossible.
But column a is the info that the sorting needs to be based on. Do you
think
I should use a different formula to move the column a info to page2?
Another problem with my original formula is that the Large1,Large2, etc
won't change when I drag it down. The rest of the formula changes fine,
just not the 1,2,3,4. Thanks for your help. jeel

"jeel" wrote in message
The first page looks like this. I want page 2 to look like this.

Page 1 is named wkly. Page is named results.
A B C A B C
1 1st# 2nd# name 1st# 2nd# name

2 340 352 mike 362 432 bob
3 340 641 tom 358 516 joe
4 358 516 joe 340 352 mike

5 362 432 bob 340 641 tom
On page 2 I used the formula =LARGE(wkly!$A$2:$A$5,1)etc
Which was okay but I wanted column b and c to match column a.
Max posted a formula for that and it worked well except for duplicates
in
column a.=INDEX(wkly!a$2:a$5,MATCH(LARGE(wkly!$a$2:$a$5,R OWS
($1:1)),wkly!$a$2:$a$5,0))
This worked well except for the duplicates. Max posted me another formula

that I can"t seem to make work. Any help would be appreciated. I hope
this example makes sense. I am wondering if I shouldn't back up and use a

different formula to bring column a onto page 2. Perhaps index.Thanks,
jeel.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I do not know how to post a link to a sample file. I tried to fix the example
in
my reply to T. Valko. I also see that I should have posted this in the Excel
Function section. I could not figure out how to change it. Thanks for your
time and effort.jeel

"Max" wrote:

Post a link to your sample file. Use:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/

--
Max
Singapore
http://savefile.com/projects/236895
xdemechanik
---

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

This sample illustrates one way you can get it going:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/download/3b45k
Extract lines in descending order in another sht.xls

Source data in "wkly", data in cols A to C from row2 down. Lines to be
extracted in "Results", sorted in descending order by the "1st" col

In Results,
In A2: =IF(wkly!A2="","",wkly!A2-ROW()/10^10)
Leave A1 blank

In B2:
=IF(ISERROR(LARGE($A:$A,ROWS($1:1))),"",INDEX(wkly !A:A,MATCH(LARGE($A:$A,ROWS($1:1)),$A:$A,0)))
Copy B2 to D2. Select A2:D2, copy down to cover the max expected extent of
source data in "wkly". Minimize/hide away col A. Cols B to D will return the
results you seek.
--
"jeel" wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Max Max is offline

See my response in the other branch
for one way that you can achieve the desired results.

As for:
.. how to post a link to a sample file

In the main page of:
http://www.freefilehosting.net/

just click inside the box, then click "Browse",
navigate to your folder containing your sample file,
select the sample, click Open, then click "Upload File Now"

When the upload completes,
just right-click inside the "Direct Link" box, choose copy
then paste the link into your reply/posting