Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Trying Hard

Default IF Function too Large

The function below is a partial version of the correct one; I will exceed the
allowed characters for the field (too many arguments). I notice I am using
different arguments which could be combined as a range: IF(C16=5:7 for the
same results, in other words 5, 6 & 7 all = E20 as a result.

=IF(C16=5,E20,IF(C16=6,E20,IF(C16=7,E20,IF(C16=8,E 21,IF(C16=9,E21,IF(C16=10,E22,IF(C16=11,E22,IF(C16 11,E23,0))))))))

How can I build this function combining criteria as a range for a common
result?

--
Thank you,

Trying Hard
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

This could replace what you have so far, you could build on it instead
of nested IFs

=INDEX(E20:E23,MATCH(C16,{5,8,10,12}))

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Trying Hard

This works but I modified it to allow a 0 for numbers below 5:

=INDEX(E19:E23,MATCH(C16,{0,5,7,10,15}))

I am currious though could I also enable this with differant functions?

--
Thank you,

Trying Hard

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

This could replace what you have so far, you could build on it instead
of nested IFs

=INDEX(E20:E23,MATCH(C16,{5,8,10,12}))

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=511411

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
daddylonglegs

Trying Hard Wrote:
I am currious though could I also enable this with differant
functions?

Not sure what you mean, you can certainly use that type of setup in
many different circumstances. In general if you're using more than
about 3 nested IFs you'll probably be better off with some sort of
LOOKUP/INDEX/MATCH formula - the exact formula you need will depend on
the exact circumstances