Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Opening .xlt files within Explorer vs.using Excel/Open

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Don't use the FileOpenBrowse to method from within Excel

Use this method.

FileNew...Templates. Browse to the shared drive and double-click on the
Template.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 13:47:00 -0800, SueDot
wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

To open a template the proper command is File, New not File, Open. File
Open allows you to modify a template.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"SueDot" wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Gord and Shane for your replies.

When I choose File / New as you both suggested, The New Workbook task pane
pops up on the right side of the screen. It does not have a browse feature
in it in which I can get to the shared nework drive. If I click the "On My
Computer..." option as listed under the Templates heading, I am only shown my
C: drive Templates folder with no other browse capabilities. So, how would I
actually open a file saved elsewhere using this method?

Thank you for your input.
--
Susan

"SueDot" wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I use xl2003.

If I do file|New...
I can choose "From existing workbook" in that taskbar and browse to the *.xlt
that I want.

In fact, the "Ok" button has a caption of "Create New".

In some earlier versions of excel (xl2k???), I could use File|Open and browse to
the sample.xlt file. Then right click on it and choose New.

This doesn't work for me in xl2003, though.

"SueDot" wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi Sue,

Another approach is to pick Templates on Office Online, and on the Explorer
address bar type C:\ and press enter. Then you can navigate.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"SueDot" wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you Dave and Shane for your answers which were very helpful. Now the
tricky part will be getting a whole office full of people who don't use Excel
very often to change their ways so as to not keep overwriting my templates!

Susan

"SueDot" wrote:

I have some templates I want to store on a shared drive for others to use.
Why is it that invoking the file from within explorer causes a copy of the
file to open (i.e. sample.xlt opens correctly as sample1.xls) but opening
the same template from within Excel using Open (and browsing to find it in
the shared network folder) will actually open the template itself, and not a
copy? (i.e. sample.xlt opens as sample.xlt). This seems to totally defeat
the purpose of having shared templates as anyone who happens to open the
template from inside Excel will inadvertently overwrite the template itself
when they make their changes, if they aren't paying attention. Am I missing
a setting someplace?
--
Susan

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Or type the letter for your network drive instead of C:\

Gord