Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mns mns is offline

Default Restricted values in cells

Hi,
I want to make a rule for a sheet which gives an alert when a user enters
"," comma in the cell while typing 12,34. I tried Data Varification part
couldnt figure out how to make this happen. If anyone knows how to restrict
spesific character I would be happy to hear it.

Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

In cell C1 I entered a comma, highlight the range you want to apply the
validation to and then In the data validation choose Custom and enter

=ISERROR(FIND($C$1,A1))

where A1 is the first cell of the data validation range.

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"mns" wrote:

Hi,
I want to make a rule for a sheet which gives an alert when a user enters
"," comma in the cell while typing 12,34. I tried Data Varification part
couldnt figure out how to make this happen. If anyone knows how to restrict
spesific character I would be happy to hear it.

Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi again,

If you want to apply this to the entire sheet, move to another sheet and
enter a comma in a cell. Then name the cell. In my example I named the cell
comma. Now move back to the sheet you want to restrict. Select the entire
sheet and enter the following formula in the Data Validation, Custom:

=ISERROR(FIND(Comma,A1))

--
Cheers,
Shane Devenshire

"mns" wrote:

Hi,
I want to make a rule for a sheet which gives an alert when a user enters
"," comma in the cell while typing 12,34. I tried Data Varification part
couldnt figure out how to make this happen. If anyone knows how to restrict
spesific character I would be happy to hear it.

Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Alternative to comma in a reference cell.

=ISERROR(FIND(CHAR(44),A1))

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Wed, 23 Jan 2008 10:52:01 -0800, ShaneDevenshire
wrote:

Hi again,

If you want to apply this to the entire sheet, move to another sheet and
enter a comma in a cell. Then name the cell. In my example I named the cell
comma. Now move back to the sheet you want to restrict. Select the entire
sheet and enter the following formula in the Data Validation, Custom:

=ISERROR(FIND(Comma,A1))

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mns mns is offline

Thank you! The first one worked:) but the thing is I need to make sure from
all sheet. So I tried the second option. I renamed the second sheet as Comma,
like you did. Then I came to my first sheet and selected a range to
test(A1:A2 + B1:B2).
then tried your formula
=ISERROR(FIND(Comma,A1))

which ended with an error saying;
"A named range you specified cannot be found."
:(

"mns" wrote:

Hi,
I want to make a rule for a sheet which gives an alert when a user enters
"," comma in the cell while typing 12,34. I tried Data Varification part
couldnt figure out how to make this happen. If anyone knows how to restrict
spesific character I would be happy to hear it.

Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Shane said to name the cell with the comma as "Comma"

InsertNameDefine

Do not name the sheet as "Comma"

BTW..........have you tried my formula?

Gord

"mns" wrote:

Hi,
I want to make a rule for a sheet which gives an alert when a user enters
"," comma in the cell while typing 12,34. I tried Data Varification part
couldnt figure out how to make this happen. If anyone knows how to restrict
spesific character I would be happy to hear it.

Thanx

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
mns mns is offline

Yes actually, Char(44) made it easy:) thank you a lot. But now guess what, I
wonder what is the char number of dot, question mark.

Thank you so much for saving me time.

p.s.:This topic is not marked as done. I am using web browser and couldnt
find an option to say "my problem has been solved". If I am missing that pls
let me note tat too:)