Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
YMC YMC is offline

Default math to column

i am having some trouble adding a math function to a whole column, i know how
to add math functions to cells but in this situation i do not know the amount
of cells there could be. ther could be 10 or 10000 cells with information in
them, i need to divide by 60 to a whole column. how would i go about doing
this. thankyou in advance,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

ToolsOptionsEdit tab, check Extend data range formats and formulas

Do read HELP to understand how and under which conditions it works

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten
Microsoft MVP - Excel

"YMC" wrote in message ...
|i am having some trouble adding a math function to a whole column, i know how
| to add math functions to cells but in this situation i do not know the amount
| of cells there could be. ther could be 10 or 10000 cells with information in
| them, i need to divide by 60 to a whole column. how would i go about doing
| this. thankyou in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
YMC YMC is offline

hi Niek, i have that selected already. i just dont know how to write out the
formula for a divide function for a whole column. lets say the formula starts
in D6, how would that be written out.

"YMC" wrote in message ...
|i am having some trouble adding a math function to a whole column, i know how
| to add math functions to cells but in this situation i do not know the amount
| of cells there could be. ther could be 10 or 10000 cells with information in
| them, i need to divide by 60 to a whole column. how would i go about doing
| this. thankyou in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Put 60 in a cell and copy it.

Select the cells you want to divide and then

Edit|Paste special
Select divide
Click OK
Delete the cell wit 60 in

Mike

"YMC" wrote:

i am having some trouble adding a math function to a whole column, i know how
to add math functions to cells but in this situation i do not know the amount
of cells there could be. ther could be 10 or 10000 cells with information in
them, i need to divide by 60 to a whole column. how would i go about doing
this. thankyou in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
YMC YMC is offline

hi mike, the only problem with that is i do not know the known range of data
that will be in the sheet, like i said there could be 10 cells in a column
with information, or 10000. i dont want to apply the divide function to all
the cells, just kinda sloppy imo. thankyou for the input though.

"YMC" wrote:

i am having some trouble adding a math function to a whole column, i know how
to add math functions to cells but in this situation i do not know the amount
of cells there could be. ther could be 10 or 10000 cells with information in
them, i need to divide by 60 to a whole column. how would i go about doing
this. thankyou in advance,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sounds like you might make use of the dynamic named range in your formula.
have a look at http://www.contextures.com/xlNames01.html for more detailed
instructions. This site has been invaluable to me.

hth