Bill

Default math

How do I get the average of a group of years. Like 1999, 1998, 2000, etc.
Chip Pearson

I think you need to provide much more detail to get a useful
reply.

--
Cordially,
Chip Pearson

"Bill" wrote in message
How do I get the average of a group of years. Like 1999, 1998,
2000, etc.

Bob Phillips

maybe something like

=AVERAGE(ROW(INDIRECT("1998:2005")))

as an array formula, so commit with Ctrl-Shift-Enter

--

HTH

RP

"Bill" wrote in message
How do I get the average of a group of years. Like 1999, 1998, 2000, etc.

Henry

Bill,

How do you want to treat fractions of a year?
For instance, the average of 1999 & 2000 is 1999.5 (if you're just treating
them as numbers)
Do you want this to show as 1999.5 or 1 July 1999?

Averaging dates is much easier as XL stores a date as a number.
Format cells A1 to A5 as date.
Format cells B1 to B5 as number (no decimal places)
In A1 to A4 put 4 random dates
In cell B1 put =A1
Drag the formula down to B4
In B5 put SUM(B1:B4)/4
In A5 put =B5
A5 will show the average date of the 4 you entered.

Henry