Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
els els is offline

Default Formulas!

Sorry guys if this seem basic but I am stuggling to find the right formula
for what I want Excel to do.

I have 2 columns of data, Column A has text and Column B is numeric. In a
separate field I just want a formula which can SUM up all the values in
column B which correspond to a particular entry in column A.

e.g. In 50 line of data the word TEST may appear 10 times in column A. The
corresponding entry in column B related to the word TEST may have different
values. I just want to find the sum of the related values.

Hope this makes sense, and apologies again if I couldn't see the wood for
the trees and it ends up being a basic answer!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I suggest you put the word TEST in D1 (so that you can put other words
in there to get other totals) and this formula in E1:

=SUMIF(A$1:A$50,D1,B$1:B$50)

Copy it down if you want to put other text values down column D.

Hope this helps.

Pete