Locked out

Default How may I remove Office 2003 DRM protection from DOC & XLS files?

I created several complex Excel spreadsheets (and maybe one or two Word
docs.) using Office 2003, which I then foolishly protected with Document
Rights Management to shield from prying eyes of coworkers. I subsequently
moved to another company, not realizing that I was about to expereince a
serious problem. As it turns out, I have a HUGE problem. I now have no
access to information that took me many months to compile!

I suspect that DRM or Passport established a link through my previous email
address which is required to allow legitimate access. As a result I am
locked out of my own files. I no longer have the email address under which
the files were originally protected and was informed that the address has
since been removed from their email server.

This could become a HUGE issue for others who change employers (as I had) or
move from one contract position to another. I surely do not want to
reassemble the data from scratch if I can help it!

My question is: How do I "crack" my own file protection scheme without
access to the email address under which the files were originally protected?

I have memorized the passwords used, but cannot "fake" the email address
under which they were originally protected. Any ideas???

(I also realize that my "sob story" could just as easily be made up by
someone who wants to illegally circumvent the protection of ANY document so
protected. Thus, the solution is probably not an easy one.)
Chuck Davis

[...]

.

Negotiate with your former employer. If you have a good
"sob story" they may let you take them. However, if you
used their time and equipment to creat the files, they
belong to the employer, not you.