Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Why can't I find T() and N() with offline help?

Why can't I find the T() and N() functions with offline help?

When I enter "t function" or "n function" (without quotes) in the
Search field, I do not see those functions. I always have to stumble
around to find them. For example, if I go to the TEXT() help page and
click See Also, I find the T() function. When I go to the T() help
page and click See Also, I find the N() function.

(The T() function appears in the list of Text and Data Functions, but
not the N() function.)

I wonder if the failure to find those functions by searching normally
indicates that they are deprecated and destined to become obsolete.

I am using Office Excel 2003.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I have Excel 2000 and can find the functions directly in XL Help.
However, in both descriptions the following sentence appears:
"...
This function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs.
..."
so perhaps they are destined to be left out sometime in the future.

Pete

On Jan 15, 11:32*pm, joeu2004 wrote:
Why can't I find the T() and N() functions with offline help?

When I enter "t function" or "n function" (without quotes) in the
Search field, I do not see those functions. *I always have to stumble
around to find them. *For example, if I go to the TEXT() help page and
click See Also, I find the T() function. *When I go to the T() help
page and click See Also, I find the N() function.

(The T() function appears in the list of Text and Data Functions, but
not the N() function.)

I wonder if the failure to find those functions by searching normally
indicates that they are deprecated and destined to become obsolete.

I am using Office Excel 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Jan 15, 5:10*pm, Pete_UK wrote:
I have Excel 2000 and can find the functions directly in XL Help.
However, in both descriptions the following sentence appears:
"... This function is provided for compatibility with other spreadsheet
programs. ..."
so perhaps they are destined to be left out sometime in the future.

Yup, that certainly adds to my speculation <sigh. I wonder if these
functions are in Excel 2007.

It would be too bad to see N() disappear. (Hmm, can we "see"
something disappear? <g) I like to use it as sure-fire way to handle
what appears to be an empty cell (might be truly empty or "" or " ")
as well as a zero value or text. 'Spose I could resort to using
SUM(A1), as we see so many people doing "needlessly" <wink.