Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Excel 2003-skip to another cell upon leaving

I have a spreadsheet where I fill in information in various cells. When I
make an entry into a cell, I then want to skip to the next cell requiring
data...and then the next, etc. How do I get away from just moving right,
left, up, down to the adjacent cell? Thanks.
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cells in the worksheet where data entry is required and then click
FORMAT in the menu and remove the check mark from the LOCKED check bos on
the PROTECTION tab of the dialog box.

Then click TOOLS, select PROTECTION, PROTECT SHEET and remove the check mark
from the SELECT LOCKED CELLS check box. Add a password if you want and click
OK to exit.

Now when pressing ENTER or TAB, or using the arrow keys on the cursor pad
only unlocked cells will be selected.

--
Kevin Backmann

"Rich D" wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I fill in information in various cells. When I
make an entry into a cell, I then want to skip to the next cell requiring
data...and then the next, etc. How do I get away from just moving right,
left, up, down to the adjacent cell? Thanks.
--
Rich D
Armstrong Custom Homes
Redmond

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If your order of entry is left to right and top to bottom then Kevin's
suggestion is a good one.

If a random order see Bob Phillip's site.

You could also use event code to jump around. If interested, post back.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Tue, 15 Jan 2008 10:30:01 -0800, Rich D
wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I fill in information in various cells. When I
make an entry into a cell, I then want to skip to the next cell requiring
data...and then the next, etc. How do I get away from just moving right,
left, up, down to the adjacent cell? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hello,

I am trying to do this as well, but I would rather not protect the sheet,
because sometimes data would need to be inserted in the other cells that I
haven't included in the tabbing. However, that link doesn't work anymore.
Is there any way to do this without having to activate a macro while being
able to still modify data in other cells if need be?

Jessica

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I fill in information in various cells. When I
make an entry into a cell, I then want to skip to the next cell requiring
data...and then the next, etc. How do I get away from just moving right,
left, up, down to the adjacent cell? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jessica

You could use a named range and no sheet protection.

Select second cell in the sequence then with CTRL key held down select the
next ones in turn ending off your selection with the first in sequence.

InsertNameDefine...........give your range a name like doodah and OK

In NameBox select doodah and start entering data.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

wrote:

I have a spreadsheet where I fill in information in various cells. When I
make an entry into a cell, I then want to skip to the next cell requiring
data...and then the next, etc. How do I get away from just moving right,
left, up, down to the adjacent cell? Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi, thank you for your advice. I tried this, and it would be ideal, but the
only drawback I am facing is that I would like this order to be constant for
each row. In other words, I want that when I input a new contact's record,
and it's a magazine as opposed to a hotel, I want to jump to A to C to D to M
to N. I don't know if my version of excel is old, but when I take away the
absolute reference signs, it doesn't quite work the way it should, and I
somewhat obtained the correct order, but for one reason or other, the
highlighted cells jump one row higher than the cell I select to insert new
data. Also, I would like to apply say 50 rows to the array with this cell
order because I would be inserting the magazine data successively and would
prefer not to select the named range at the beginning of each record. Is
this possible? After I had selected a nember of the cells in 4 or 5 rows,
despite selecting all of them in the right order, the named range did not
highlight the right cells, so it doesn't seem to handle so many. Any advice
would be appreciated.

"Gord Dibben" wrote:

Jessica

You could use a named range and no sheet protection.

Select second cell in the sequence then with CTRL key held down select the
next ones in turn ending off your selection with the first in sequence.

InsertNameDefine...........give your range a name like doodah and OK

In NameBox select doodah and start entering data.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I should acutally really be more specific and say that my columns extend to
AH. There's seems to be a limit to the amount of cells you can refer to
however when you define a named range, which is my hang up. I want many
cells to be included in my range, or at least 12 or so in the current row and
the first cell of the next. Is it just that my version is old, or should I
be able to add as many cells as I want to a named array? Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

The cell references MUST be absolute

The named range method is limited to 255 characters in the "refers to"
dialog box.

This counts all those d..ned repeated sheet names.

Here is a method to get about 46 cells in the box.

=$B$2,$D$2,$F$2,$H$2,$J$2,$B$4,$D$4,$F$4,$H$4,$J$4 ,$B$6,$D$6,$F$6,$H$6,$J$6,$B$8,$D$8,$F$8,
$H$8,$J$8,$B$10,$D$10,$F$10,$H$10,$J$10,$B$12,$D$1 2,$F$12,$H$12,$J$12,$B$14,$D$14,$F$14,$H$14,
$J$14,$B$16,$D$16,$F$16,$H$16,$J$16,$B$18,$D$18,$F $18,$H$18,$J$18,$L$3

As an extra hint. In the example above all of the cell references are
absolute. Typing all of that out can be time-consuming and difficult. It
would be easier to enter the cell references as relative references
(=B2,D2,F2, etc.), and then convert them to absolute simply by hitting F2 to
enter edit mode, select the complete string, and then F4 to convert to
absolute. Further F4s will convert to relative/absolute, absoulte/relative,
and then back to relative.

Gord