Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Rounding a Calculated Percentage to the Nearest 5

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
..55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as simply
as possible.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

=MROUND(A1*0.55,5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jeremy" wrote:

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as simply
as possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I tried running the formula and I get #NAME?

"CLR" wrote:

=MROUND(A1*0.55,5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jeremy" wrote:

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as simply
as possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You haven't made it clear where percentage comes into it. If you have just
got straight numbers then CLR's =MROUND(140*0.55,5) will be fine, but if one
of the numbers is a percentage & you've got an answer which is a percentage
then you'd need
=MROUND(140%*0.55,5%) or =MROUND(140%*0.55,0.05) [formatting the answer as
a percentage if you want it that way].

If you get a #NAME! response from MROUND, look up MROUND in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"Jeremy" wrote in message
I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value
of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would
like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as
simply
as possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CLR CLR is offline

The #NAME? error value occurs when Microsoft Excel doesn't recognize text in
a formula.

Perhaps MROUND was mis-spelled?

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jeremy" wrote:

I tried running the formula and I get #NAME?

"CLR" wrote:

=MROUND(A1*0.55,5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jeremy" wrote:

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as simply
as possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

=mround() is part of the analysis toolpak in xl2003 and below.

Tools|addins|check analysis toolpak.

Depending on how you installed excel, you may need your installation CD.

Jeremy wrote:

I tried running the formula and I get #NAME?

"CLR" wrote:

=MROUND(A1*0.55,5)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Jeremy" wrote:

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as simply
as possible.

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Does that INT formula round to the nearest? I thought that it would round
down?

Perhaps instead you might want to try =5*ROUND(A1/5,0) ?

[Subject to my previous question as to where percentages come into the
question, so perhaps =5%*ROUND(A1/5%,0) ]
--
David Biddulph

"havenlad" wrote in message
=5*(INT(A1/5))

"Jeremy" wrote:

I am looking for the formula that allows me to take a cell with the value
of
140 for example. In the next cell I want to multiply the previous cell
by
.55. I would then like to round that cell to the nearest 5. So I would
like
to have 77 automatically converted to 75. I think the formula involves
=MROUND but I'm not sure how to use it while doing the percentage
calculations and rounding at the same time.

Hopefully this makes sense to someone. Tried to put the question as
simply
as possible.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you need to know the syntax of the ROUND function (or any other function
in Excel except for DATEDIF), look it up in Excel help.
--
David Biddulph

"David Biddulph" wrote:

Does that INT formula round to the nearest? I thought that it would
round
down?

Perhaps instead you might want to try =5*ROUND(A1/5,0) ?

[Subject to my previous question as to where percentages come into the
question, so perhaps =5%*ROUND(A1/5%,0) ]
--
David Biddulph

"havenlad" wrote in message
=5*(INT(A1/5))