Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Cell Selection Lockup

Someone I work with has problems occasionally where Excel seems to be locked
in a cell selection mode. As he moves his cursor around, Excel selects a
range of cells as if he was holding down the shift key and selecting multiple
cells. I thought it might be his mouse, but that doesn't seem to be the
issue. Excel seems to be responsive, in general; we can select menu items,
right-click cells, etc., but it stays in that mode. He typically just
reboots to resolve the issue.

I've experienced this problem, but only rarely. I was thinking that I had
solved it by minimizing then maximizing the window, but that didn't seem to
help. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try pressing the F8 key if you see "EXT" down on the right end of the Status
Bar.

Or if using a wheel mouse, give the wheel a few not-so-gentle taps.

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Sat, 12 Jan 2008 06:00:01 -0800, T. Jenkins
wrote:

Someone I work with has problems occasionally where Excel seems to be locked
in a cell selection mode. As he moves his cursor around, Excel selects a
range of cells as if he was holding down the shift key and selecting multiple
cells. I thought it might be his mouse, but that doesn't seem to be the
issue. Excel seems to be responsive, in general; we can select menu items,
right-click cells, etc., but it stays in that mode. He typically just
reboots to resolve the issue.

I've experienced this problem, but only rarely. I was thinking that I had
solved it by minimizing then maximizing the window, but that didn't seem to
help. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've experienced same phenomenon.
I systematically hit all keys yesterday. I'll retry F8.
I use the touch mouse on my laptop. Should I thump that if F8 does not work?

--
Rick

wrote:

Someone I work with has problems occasionally where Excel seems to be locked
in a cell selection mode. As he moves his cursor around, Excel selects a
range of cells as if he was holding down the shift key and selecting multiple
cells. I thought it might be his mouse, but that doesn't seem to be the
issue. Excel seems to be responsive, in general; we can select menu items,
right-click cells, etc., but it stays in that mode. He typically just
reboots to resolve the issue.

I've experienced this problem, but only rarely. I was thinking that I had
solved it by minimizing then maximizing the window, but that didn't seem to
help. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks,
Todd

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I don't have a laptop or a touch mouse so you're on your own<g

Gord