Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CHW CHW is offline

Default Faster way to check and sort duplicate numbers

I have been using COUNTIF(A:A,A#) to check for doubles for a while now. The
formula works fine for small ranges of numbers, but really starts to lag
after 4000 numbers or more. Well, now I am having to deal with serial number
ranges of 10-60000 and my formula is no longer practical.
Is there a faster way to identify multiple (up to 5 or so) occurences of the
same number(with alpha characters) in a column?

Thanks,
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Don Don is offline

I have used a pivot table and count in the data then sort the list. depends
if you want something formal or quick to check mult

"CHW" wrote:

I have been using COUNTIF(A:A,A#) to check for doubles for a while now. The
formula works fine for small ranges of numbers, but really starts to lag
after 4000 numbers or more. Well, now I am having to deal with serial number
ranges of 10-60000 and my formula is no longer practical.
Is there a faster way to identify multiple (up to 5 or so) occurences of the
same number(with alpha characters) in a column?

Thanks,

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
CHW CHW is offline

I tried the pivot table, but I have too many unique values. I read that the
pivot table can only hold about 8000, and I'm way past that. It does work
for my smaller ranges, though, quite well.