Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Grouping of Categories

I have a worksheet that consist of 12 (one for each month) income/expense
budgets already laid out for the year. Each month's budget is beneath the
previous month, therefore I can maintain like data in the same column. I
want to compile information, say for each month, that groups the categories I
have for each transaction. Example: My wife and I both get paid twice
each month. Therefore, I have the monthly grocery expense split for each
payperiod. I want to be able to combine then as a total and compare to total
income to get a precentage.

I can figure out the part I just described, but here is the twist.
I have several blanks within each month to allow for new expenses, thereby
possibly creating a new category not used before. I want the section that
complies the totals based on categories to automatically pick this new
category up and calculate based on formula I use.

How can this be done?

NOTE: The categories are in Column A, but that is not the only thing in
column A. The Month-Year and column heading (CAT) also appear in column A
for each month.

FYI: All twelve budgets extend from Row 3 to 727.

Thanks,
Les