Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I retrieve deleted data in Excel?

I made a copy of a file and was working in the copy thinking that if I
deleted information in the copy it would be left alone in the original. I
deleted the info in the copy and, of course, it deleted it in the original. I
don't have a copy. HELP!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you made a copy of the file then anything you did to the copy wouldn't
have done anything to the original. Are you sure that you didn't just open
a second window on the same worksheet?

If you have corrupted your original then you've lost the data unless you
have a backup, either:
1 As a separate backup in the same folder [which is a wise option to
choose at the time of File/ Save As (by using Tools/ General Options); you
will, I hope, do that in future!].
2 As an archive or backup to a separate disk or to tape, which would be
standard good practice if you are working on a network.
3 As a copy which you may have sent to someone else.
--
David Biddulph

"littlebee" wrote in message
I made a copy of a file and was working in the copy thinking that if I
deleted information in the copy it would be left alone in the original. I
deleted the info in the copy and, of course, it deleted it in the
original. I
don't have a copy. HELP!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

aThank you, David. I did a right click on the original and clicked copy then
paste onto my desktop. Then, I deleted the data in the copy. The idea was to
use the original as a template and save the info in the original then create
new data in the copy. Should that have worked?

"littlebee" wrote in message
I made a copy of a file and was working in the copy thinking that if I
deleted information in the copy it would be left alone in the original. I
deleted the info in the copy and, of course, it deleted it in the
original. I
don't have a copy. HELP!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think what you may have done is to paste a shortcut to the file into the
desktop, rather than to create a copy. If you actually create a copy, then
you can edit that without it affecting the original.
--
David Biddulph