Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Problem with dates

Hi there
I'm using Excel 2002 with SP3 installed
I'm having a few problems with dates. I've formatted the cell to use a date
format of 14.03.01 but when I enter the date (by typing for example 010108)
instead of changing the data to 01.01.08 it changes it to 3.9.27.

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong, am I simply entering the data wrong?.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You still have to give excel an idea that you're entering a date.

You can type 01/01/08 and then excel will see it as a date and use the
numberformat that you gave.

If you really don't want to type those slashes, you can use an event procedure
like the one Chip Pearson shares he
http://cpearson.com/excel/DateTimeEntry.htm

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Yes, you are entering the date wrongly.
010108 is the 10108th day counting from 1.1.1900, hence 3/9/1927.
You need to type in the data in a form recognised by your Windows Regional
Options date format (so usually it is looking for 14/03/01, or whatever, not
140301).

Having entered it wrongly, you can probably salvage it by using Data/ Text
to Columns/ ... and selecting Date & DMY as the input column format at the
final stage of the wizard.
--
David Biddulph