jch

Default Not enough memory error - Can't open file

I have an Excel 2000 file in which I created a very long macro that basically
copies indiviudal cells from one worksheet into another changing structure of
the data basically. It worked fine when I ran it against 3 files I needed to
copy the data from. When I tried to do a 4th file of the exact same format I
got the not enough memory error. I shut down excel and the computer but I
still get the error and can't open the macro file . Am I screwed? Or is there
a way for me to retrieve - get my macro back so I can try modifying it or my
process so I don't have this problem again.

Thanks
John
Fredrik Wahlgren

"jch" wrote in message
I have an Excel 2000 file in which I created a very long macro that

basically
copies indiviudal cells from one worksheet into another changing structure

of
the data basically. It worked fine when I ran it against 3 files I needed

copy the data from. When I tried to do a 4th file of the exact same format

got the not enough memory error. I shut down excel and the computer but I
still get the error and can't open the macro file . Am I screwed? Or is

there
a way for me to retrieve - get my macro back so I can try modifying it or

my
process so I don't have this problem again.

Thanks
John

There's a limit to how big your macros can get. You have probably done
something wrong if you have exceeded this limit. How big is the macro? You
can probably break it up by creating private functions, procedures and
loops.

Best Regards,
Fredrik

jch

Thanks Fredrik,
I assumed I'd hit some limit or some such thing? The worksheet is 158k, I
don't know how much of that is macro and how much is data? The problem is I
can't open it at all to make any modifications. Too bad Excel can't prompt us
about exceeding file size before we break the file. Do you know of anyway of
getting access to the macro so I could at least salvage some of my work?
Interestingly I can open the file in Word and view the data, but I don't have
access to the macro from there.

Thanks
John