Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Folder protection

Not specific to Excel but I hope somone here has the answer. I know I can
passoword protect a file, but is there any way to password protect a folder
rather than each file in that folder.

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

From the Windows XP help file...

"To compress a file or folder on an NTFS drive
Open My Computer.
Double-click a drive or folder.
Right-click the file or folder you want to compress, and then click Properties.
On the General tab, click Advanced.
Select the Compress contents to save disk space check box, and then click OK.
In the Properties dialog box, click OK.
In Confirm Attribute Changes, select the option you want."
'--
"To protect files in a zipped compressed folder with a password
Open My Computer, and then locate the compressed folder.
Double-click the compressed folder.
On the File menu, click Add a Password.
In the Password box, type a password.
In the Confirm Password box, type the password again."
'--
"Notes
To open My Computer, click Start, and then click My Computer.
Passwords are case sensitive.
You can identify compressed folders by the zipper on the folder icon.
When you extract an password protected file, the extracted file is no longer protected."
--
Jim Cone
San Francisco, USA

"PatrickP"

wrote in message
Not specific to Excel but I hope somone here has the answer. I know I can
passoword protect a file, but is there any way to password protect a folder
rather than each file in that folder.

Thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I think that this would more of an operating system question.

At work, we would ask our IT folks to create a network share that would allow
certain users to have readonly access to the files in specific folders and allow
other users to have complete control (and most users no access).

If this is for home use, I'd ask in a forum dedicated to your operating system
(including the version, too).

PatrickP wrote:

Not specific to Excel but I hope somone here has the answer. I know I can
passoword protect a file, but is there any way to password protect a folder
rather than each file in that folder.

Thank you!

--

Dave Peterson