Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Need help converting Number stored as Text to Date

Ok, I tried using the kb article for this, but obviously I'm still doing
something wrong.... please help if you can!

I have a number 121101 in a cell -- when I right click the cell and select
format cells it says it's formatted as a date, but the error checking says
it's a number stored as text.

I select the option in the error checking that says convert to number.
I right click the cell again and it shows the format as general...
I change it to date and the number 121101 becomes the date 7/24/2231
I want it to become 12/11/2001.

Can someone please help me. I'm obviously not very good at excel and this
is making me crazy!!

Thanks in advance!!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Select the cell(s) and then

Data|text to columns
select fixed width
next
next
select date & YMD
Finish
You should have a date

Mike

"LuvHaleiwa" wrote:

Ok, I tried using the kb article for this, but obviously I'm still doing
something wrong.... please help if you can!

I have a number 121101 in a cell -- when I right click the cell and select
format cells it says it's formatted as a date, but the error checking says
it's a number stored as text.

I select the option in the error checking that says convert to number.
I right click the cell again and it shows the format as general...
I change it to date and the number 121101 becomes the date 7/24/2231
I want it to become 12/11/2001.

Can someone please help me. I'm obviously not very good at excel and this
is making me crazy!!

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thank you sooooo much! Worked perfectly!!!

Kara

"Mike H" wrote:

Select the cell(s) and then

Data|text to columns
select fixed width
next
next
select date & YMD
Finish
You should have a date

Mike

"LuvHaleiwa" wrote:

Ok, I tried using the kb article for this, but obviously I'm still doing
something wrong.... please help if you can!

I have a number 121101 in a cell -- when I right click the cell and select
format cells it says it's formatted as a date, but the error checking says
it's a number stored as text.

I select the option in the error checking that says convert to number.
I right click the cell again and it shows the format as general...
I change it to date and the number 121101 becomes the date 7/24/2231
I want it to become 12/11/2001.

Can someone please help me. I'm obviously not very good at excel and this
is making me crazy!!

Thanks in advance!!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

You're most welcome and thanks for the feedback.

Mike

"LuvHaleiwa" wrote:

Thank you sooooo much! Worked perfectly!!!

Kara

"Mike H" wrote:

Select the cell(s) and then

Data|text to columns