Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Frequency

I am trying to run a daily total of the # of responses to 5 questions. Each
question has 5 possible responses. Question 1 had 5 responses rated as 5,
questions 2 had 2 responses rated as 2, etc. I thought I could create a
formula, but I'm stumped. TIA.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
5 11 7 13 6
2 4 5 6 3
3 4 3 5 4
0 1 0 2 3
0 1 0 0 0

How many 5 responses to question 1?
How many 4 responses to question 1? etc.

Mudbug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Wow--that was fast! I tried that formula, but I must be putting in the wrong
cell? I don't think I explained it well enough either. Where would I put it
based on the following? Do I create a column for each question? Two people
gave a 5 response to Q1. Two gave a 5 response to Q4.
Person Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
Mr. C. 5 3 2 5 1
Mr. L 5 5 5 5 5
Mr. T 4 4 3 3 3
--
Mudbug

"Mudbug" wrote:

I am trying to run a daily total of the # of responses to 5 questions. Each
question has 5 possible responses. Question 1 had 5 responses rated as 5,
questions 2 had 2 responses rated as 2, etc. I thought I could create a
formula, but I'm stumped. TIA.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
5 11 7 13 6
2 4 5 6 3
3 4 3 5 4
0 1 0 2 3
0 1 0 0 0

How many 5 responses to question 1?
How many 4 responses to question 1? etc.

Mudbug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I take it the responses are a value of a rating of the question. Thus, 5
being completely agree and 0 being completely disagree (or something along
that line).

So, if you want to count all the 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, & 0's, just insert the
number of rows at the top you need (0 to 5 would be 6 additional rows). Be
sure to change the range to first and last row of all questions.

Formula =COUNTIF(B$8:B$16,"=5"), =COUNTIF(B$8:B$16,"=4"),
=COUNTIF(B$8:B$16,"=3"), etc... Fill to the right for each question.
Here's Result

A B C D E F
Tally 5 2 1 1 2 1
Tally 4 1 1 0 0 0
Tally 3 0 1 1 1 1
Tally 2 0 0 1 0 0
Tally 1 0 0 0 0 1
Tally 0 0 0 0 0 0
Person Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
Mr. C. 5 3 2 5 1
Mr. L 5 5 5 5 5
Mr. T 4 4 3 3 3

"Mudbug" wrote:

I am trying to run a daily total of the # of responses to 5 questions. Each
question has 5 possible responses. Question 1 had 5 responses rated as 5,
questions 2 had 2 responses rated as 2, etc. I thought I could create a
formula, but I'm stumped. TIA.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
5 11 7 13 6
2 4 5 6 3
3 4 3 5 4
0 1 0 2 3
0 1 0 0 0

How many 5 responses to question 1?
How many 4 responses to question 1? etc.

Mudbug

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Assume this table is in the range A1:F4 -

Person Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
Mr. C. 5 3 2 5 1
Mr. L 5 5 5 5 5
Mr. T 4 4 3 3 3

Enter these headers in the range B10:F10 - Q1, Q2, Q3, Q4, Q5
Enter these headers in the range A11:A15 - 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Enter this formula in B11 and copy across to F11 then down to row 15:

=COUNTIF(INDEX($B$2:$F$4,,MATCH(B$10,$B$1:$F$1,0)) ,$A11)

--
Biff
Microsoft Excel MVP

"Mudbug" wrote in message
I am trying to run a daily total of the # of responses to 5 questions.
Each
question has 5 possible responses. Question 1 had 5 responses rated as 5,
questions 2 had 2 responses rated as 2, etc. I thought I could create a
formula, but I'm stumped. TIA.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5
5 11 7 13 6
2 4 5 6 3
3 4 3 5 4
0 1 0 2 3
0 1 0 0 0

How many 5 responses to question 1?
How many 4 responses to question 1? etc.

Mudbug

Frequency.... I think DP7 Excel Worksheet Functions 1 July 10th 07 08:24 PM
Frequency ( ) Epinn New Users to Excel 2 September 21st 06 08:42 AM
Frequency [email protected] Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 August 30th 06 07:03 PM
frequency florin Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 1 May 2nd 06 11:48 PM
histograms - frequency and relative frequency? confusedstudent Excel Discussion (Misc queries) 2 February 8th 06 08:20 AM