Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Embedding .swf files in Excel 2003

I have seen several .xls documents which have .swf (Macromedia Flash)
applications sitting in their spreadsheets. However, when I try to
Insert--Object a .swf into a new .xls, it appears as an icon and won't work.
I don't have the Macromedia program installed, but I did install an
open-source program that can open and edit Flash files. However, the existing
..xls documents have always worked (i.e. the flash applications in them always
ran, despite me not having the software), whereas I have never been able to
create my own version of such documents.

Please help!
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

Flash games can be embeded into Excel Sheet. Pick up the flash game file
(*.swf) and put it in some convinient location. Whatever flash based game
play that is placed in your browser cache. You may find these file by doing
wildcharacter search for *.swf in you computer and open it in browser.

In order to embed the game in Excel. Open the Control Toolbox and click on
more control. And from there select Shockwave Flash Object. Now with your
mouse select the area where you want to put the game.

Now on the Control Toolbox click on properties button. Beside the category
"Movie" Write the complete path of the Flash File. Now exit from the
properties window and close Control Toolbox. Save the Excel Sheet and reopen
it to play the game (or to run the Flash Object) :)

Regards

Prem

"It Is Me Here" wrote:

I have seen several .xls documents which have .swf (Macromedia Flash)
applications sitting in their spreadsheets. However, when I try to
Insert--Object a .swf into a new .xls, it appears as an icon and won't work.
I don't have the Macromedia program installed, but I did install an
open-source program that can open and edit Flash files. However, the existing
.xls documents have always worked (i.e. the flash applications in them always
ran, despite me not having the software), whereas I have never been able to
create my own version of such documents.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Thanks a lot. Just one question. I saved this .swf to My Documents and added
the line as you said, but when I deleted the .swf, it no longer functionned
in Excel; whereas with others I've seen, they are totally self-contained
within the .xls. So how do I make the .swf self-contained within the .xls,
and not dependent on the file existing in My Documents (in order to be able
to move the .xls around without moving the .swf too).

"It Is Me Here" wrote:

I have seen several .xls documents which have .swf (Macromedia Flash)
applications sitting in their spreadsheets. However, when I try to
Insert--Object a .swf into a new .xls, it appears as an icon and won't work.
I don't have the Macromedia program installed, but I did install an
open-source program that can open and edit Flash files. However, the existing
.xls documents have always worked (i.e. the flash applications in them always
ran, despite me not having the software), whereas I have never been able to
create my own version of such documents.

Please help!

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
ju ju is offline

in design mode, under the properties, choose yes for embed movie.
you can also choose yes for autoload
save the file
open again, and check to confirm that the embed movie is yes
close, delete the original swf file.