Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default How do I create a list, where I can look-up a corresponding value

Im am trying to set a system where you would have to example:

Date Data Range Relevent Location

29/10 10 - 20 1
30/10 21 - 42 2

I want to know if I can set a formula in excel to be able to set the data
range (with specific unique values) so that if I look up say data value 19,
it will tell me the location is 1?
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

If you restructure the data so that you have start points not ranges,

Date Data Range Relevant Location
29/10 10 1
30/10 21 2

you can then use

=INDEX(C2:C3,MATCH(19,B2:B3,1))

--
---
HTH

Bob

"Daiire" wrote in message
Im am trying to set a system where you would have to example:

Date Data Range Relevent Location

29/10 10 - 20 1
30/10 21 - 42 2

I want to know if I can set a formula in excel to be able to set the data
range (with specific unique values) so that if I look up say data value
19,
it will tell me the location is 1?

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Hi,

You could create a table like this which in my case is in A1 - B4
10 1
21 2
43 3
66 4
Note that the left column is sorted ascending and the numbers are your
thresholds
Then use a formula
=VLOOKUP(C1,A1:B4,2,TRUE)

The formula looks in column A for the value in C1. For 10 to 20 it will
return 1 and for 21 on returns 2 etc.

Mike

"Daiire" wrote:

Im am trying to set a system where you would have to example:

Date Data Range Relevent Location