Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Sort by date month and not year

I am trying to sort a list by date month, not year, but the data is in
mm/dd/yy format from the original list. I need to make a birthday list and
the list is too long to cut and paste individual (over 800 entries). Please
help I've tried every thing I can think of including the options in sort, it
just places it in Month order with the year and we have people ranging from
born in 1930-1999. So this is not helpful at all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Use a spare column with the formula
=MONTH(A1)
in the first cell (replace A1 by the cell where the date is), copied down as
far as your data. Then you can sort by this column independently of the
year.

"Visha" wrote in message
I am trying to sort a list by date month, not year, but the data is in
mm/dd/yy format from the original list. I need to make a birthday list and
the list is too long to cut and paste individual (over 800 entries).
Please
help I've tried every thing I can think of including the options in sort,
it
just places it in Month order with the year and we have people ranging
from
born in 1930-1999. So this is not helpful at all.

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It worked like a charm!!! Thanks, this has been a problem for quite some time
and usually I would just take a whole day to cut and paste. Thanks so much!
Have a happy holiday!