Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Spreadsheet directory

Installed Office 2003 from disk away from any network. Usual startup task
pane appeared in Excel.Tried to clear tick box in 'Options' but received

"Cannot access directory 'h:\Data\spreadshetts\recover'."

Receive same message when trying to switch between tabs in Options Menu.
Removed, restarted and reninstalled Office. Now at a loss to solving problem
/ resetting Main directory.
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Can you map any old network drive (or even local drive or USB or ...) to the F:
drive?

If yes, then do that first and then try starting excel and changing your
settings.

If no, then you could go into the Windows|Registry and search for that string
(is it spelled correctly???) and change it to something that you know exists
(C:\).

For me (xl2003 and winXP Home), I'd look in:
HKCU\software\microsoft\office\11.0\Excel\options

Be careful when you're editing the registry--there is no "are you sure prompt".

You may want to back it up before you do anything.

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Worked a treat (I think) - many thanks...
Could not Map Network Drives but edited the registry... There was a spelling
mistake in the entries although correcting them had no affect, so edited
registry as follows:

-- HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\OFFICE\
Then in 10.0\EXCEL and 11.0\EXCEL deleted various entries:
-- AutoRecover...
-- DefaultPath

I have a PC with the same installation although these entries were not
present...

Many thanks for the help.
Stu.