Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bampah

Default Directory listing

I would like to print out a list of all the files in some of my
document directories e.g. All the songs in My Music.
Is it possible to copy the contents of a directory into a worksheet for
editing and printing?
If not, does anyone know of any software that will do the job for me?
Tia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave O

This is a link to a similar discussion from last summer:

http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f917eac 4be8f

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bob Phillips

Here is one way http://tinyurl.com/8l2z2

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"Bampah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to print out a list of all the files in some of my
document directories e.g. All the songs in My Music.
Is it possible to copy the contents of a directory into a worksheet for
editing and printing?
If not, does anyone know of any software that will do the job for me?
Tia

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Jef Gorbach

"Bampah" wrote in message
oups.com...
I would like to print out a list of all the files in some of my
document directories e.g. All the songs in My Music.
Is it possible to copy the contents of a directory into a worksheet for
editing and printing?
If not, does anyone know of any software that will do the job for me?
Tia

This is one of those simple dos jobs Explorer makes difficult -- redirect
the file directory to a text file then open it in Excel for whatever further
processing you want.

[start], [run] to bring up the windows run box
command [enter] for a dos prompt
cd "c:\my documents\my music" (or wherever your subdirectory is; need
" if there are spaces)
dir *.* filelisting.txt
exit (to close dos window)
star Excel and open open c:\my documents\my music\filelist.txt for whatever
further processing you want

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Bampah

Thanks guys. I went with Jim Cone's 'List Files' add-in and it does the
job perfectly.