Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default File transfers between Excel Versions

Hi,

I have a desktop computer with Excel 2003 on it and a 3 yr old laptop with
Excel 2003 student version on it. I transferred a file from my desktop to
the laptop where I did some important updates on. When I returned home, I
transferred the file back to my desktop without changing the file name (a
mistake). Now the desktop will not compute things correctly, (IF) formulas
for example, or won't function at all.

Can I update the Student Version to full Excel before moving the file back
to my desktop to fix the problem or am I looking at starting over on the
desktop?

Just sick, Tailwind
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

There should be no difference in file structure between these two versions.
What kind of incorrect calculations are you seeing? Could it just be that
automatic calculation has been turned off? Go to Tools menu Options
Calculation tab, and select Automatic.

- Jon
-------
Jon Peltier, Microsoft Excel MVP
Tutorials and Custom Solutions
_______

"Tail Wind" wrote in message

I have a desktop computer with Excel 2003 on it and a 3 yr old laptop with
Excel 2003 student version on it. I transferred a file from my desktop to
the laptop where I did some important updates on. When I returned home, I
transferred the file back to my desktop without changing the file name (a
mistake). Now the desktop will not compute things correctly, (IF)
formulas
for example, or won't function at all.

Can I update the Student Version to full Excel before moving the file back
to my desktop to fix the problem or am I looking at starting over on the
desktop?

Just sick, Tailwind

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Jon,

That was it! I have no idea how it was mistakably turned to manual.

You have made my day. I could go cartwheels down the hall despite my
gymnastic ablity wouldn't coat the bottom of a thimble.

Have a great day!!

"Tail Wind" wrote in message

I have a desktop computer with Excel 2003 on it and a 3 yr old laptop with
Excel 2003 student version on it. I transferred a file from my desktop to
the laptop where I did some important updates on. When I returned home, I
transferred the file back to my desktop without changing the file name (a
mistake). Now the desktop will not compute things correctly, (IF)
formulas
for example, or won't function at all.

Can I update the Student Version to full Excel before moving the file back
to my desktop to fix the problem or am I looking at starting over on the
desktop?

Just sick, Tailwind

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

It might be nothing that you have done. The calculation property is
application-level, but it is saved with a workbook. When you open a
workbook, its value of the property is applied. So if you opened a workbook
with calculation set to manual, it would have changed Excel, and when you
saved your other workbooks, their setting would also change.

- Jon
-------