Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Default Convert test to date

I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Are you *sure* you're setting the field to YMD.....(Year Month Day)?

--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yes, I select the field that has the 20071225 and then select data/text to
columns and follow the instructions you listed, choosing DATe..YMD

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK....Let's troubleshoot.

In a new worksheet, enter 20071225 in a column of cells.
Then try the method I posted.
Does that work?

If yes....
Go to your "real" data and replace one of the values by
entering 20071225 in one of the cells
Try the method again....
Does only THAT cell become a date?

If yes...something's going on with your data...
If no....Then I'm puzzled.

Let us know what you discover.
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Sorry to report, but I tried a blank work book, keyed in 20071225 into a cell
and tried what you said and got the same results.......nothing

Maybe I have some setting turned off or I don't have the latest update or
something.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Maybe it's time to report back the exact steps you used when you tried it.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

OK..........

Key in 20071225 in cell A1.
Select that cell (A1) and go to DATA | TEXT TO COLUMNS
Select the FIXED WIDTH radio button and click NEXT
Click NEXT on STEP 2 window
Under COLUMN DATA FORMAT, select DATE radio button and select YMD from the drop down box.
In the DESTINATION text box, change the cell to something else beside $A$1 (or blank out the text box and select the cell you want to be the destination
Click FINISH

Presto.......the destination cell contains 20071225, same as A1.
Note: A1 is format GENERAL

I've tried it seelcting MDY and others from drop down box

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Same thing. I have actually tried this on 2 computers, work and home, with
the same results. I wonder if there is some setting that I don't have turned
on or something. Does it matter what format (text, general, number, etc) the
source cell (A1) is?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

I've never had a problem when the cell was text or general.

What is the format of the original cell?
Is the value text or numeric? (use =isnumber(a1) to test)
What version of excel are you using?

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

General.

I have Microsoft Office Excel 2003 SP2
Part of MS Office Standard Edition

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Is the value text or numeric? (use =isnumber(a1) to test)

I still can't duplicate your problem.

How about another test:
What do you see when you use this formula:
=len(a1)

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

isnumber(a1) = TRUE
len(a1) = 8

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

And you see the same thing in the formula bar as before 20071225???

I don't have any more guesses.

If you find a solution, please post back.

GKW in GA wrote:

isnumber(a1) = TRUE
len(a1) = 8

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

Have you tried converting with a formula:
=DATE(LEFT(A1,4),MID(A1,5,2),RIGHT(A1,2))

"Dave Peterson" wrote in message
And you see the same thing in the formula bar as before 20071225???

I don't have any more guesses.

If you find a solution, please post back.

GKW in GA wrote:

isnumber(a1) = TRUE
len(a1) = 8

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the
source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA"
wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I
want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I
get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using
substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

yep, same thing. It doesn't matter whether I specify YMD or MDY in the drop
down box, 20071225 still yields 20071225.

Thanks for trying, though.

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

And you see the same thing in the formula bar as before 20071225???

I don't have any more guesses.

If you find a solution, please post back.

GKW in GA wrote:

isnumber(a1) = TRUE
len(a1) = 8

"Dave Peterson" wrote:

Try using the same destination cell (use A1 in your example).

Dave Peterson wrote:

I can't get it to fail.

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
no, I just end up with 20071225, same as the source cell

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select your column of "dates"

From the Excel Main Menu:
<data<text-to-columns
Click [Next]
Click [Next]
Check: Date.....YMD
Click [Finish]

Does that help?
--------------------------

Regards,

Ron
Microsoft MVP (Excel)
(XL2003, Win XP)

"GKW in GA" wrote in message
I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to
date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and
concantenating

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

--

Dave Peterson

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

On Tue, 11 Dec 2007 12:03:00 -0800, GKW in GA
wrote:

I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and concantenating

This is very strange.

With your value in A1, what is the result of this formula:

=DATE(INT(A1/10000),MOD(INT(A1/100),100),MOD(A1,100))

??
--ron

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc

wrote:

I have a cell, F5, that has 20071225 in it. I want to convert this to a date
field that displays as 12/25/2007

When I use the function =DATEVALUE(F5) , I get #VALUE!

Can you tell me how to do this without using substringing and concantenating

This is very strange.

With your value in A1, what is the result of this formula:

=DATE(INT(A1/10000),MOD(INT(A1/100),100),MOD(A1,100))

??
--ron

Well, at least that gives you a method of converting the date. But I sure
don't understand why the Data/Text-to-Columns wizard fails.
--ron